First build - Quiet, Mini-ITX, Gaming HTPC

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nerdbot

First build - Quiet, Mini-ITX, Gaming HTPC

Post by nerdbot » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:40 pm

Trying to build quiet and compact gaming HTPC without going too far over 1k. The goal is to play popular/AAA titles at 1080p, ~60fps.

Here is what I have so far:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($196.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI H170I Pro AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($119.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($325.99 @ Amazon)
PSU: Corsair SF450 ($96.14)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
Additional Case Fan: Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-140 66.0 CFM 140mm Fan ($13.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($86.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1136.46

The nano comes with two fans: a 120mm GP12 and 140mm GP14. I will be adding the SSR2 140. In total, it will have two 140mm fans in front as intake, and one 120mm in back as exhaust.

Explaining a few odd choices:
- CPU Cooler: A Scythe Kotetsu will fit, but I'm concerned it will be too wide and interfere with the GPU. Even if it doesn't, since its height is the max height allowed (160mm) and it is fairly wide for the mitx form factor, I'm afraid it'll block too much of the only exhaust fan, which resides behind it, and will cause all the hot air to be sucked through the CPU cooler. The Cryorig H7, while not reviewed yet by silentpc, is smaller at 145mm, and has been rated as fairly quiet by other review sites as long as you are not overclocking or the putting the CPU under a lot of stress. For my purposes, I don't expect the CPU to be taxed very much.

- Corsair SF450 sfx psu: I want to use an SFX rather than ATX power supply here along with one of these conversion brackets. The fractal nano puts its power supply very close to the GPU slot. I want to use an SFX psu and the conversion bracket to move it further away from the GPU to allow for better airflow. The Corsair SF450 seems to have a decent noise level. I could also use a shorter atx power supply, like the Cooler Master V550.

This is my first build and I want to do it right. Thanks in advance!

ferroriuss

Re: First build - Quiet, Mini-ITX, Gaming HTPC

Post by ferroriuss » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:11 pm

Hi nerdbot,

Sorry to see that you lack some expert's reply, but I guess there aren't many air-cooled Nanos out there to give you a straight answer.
I'm thinking of a very similar build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ferrorius ... iew=HYR2FT

And basically can't decide between the Nano S and the Mini. Damn it's hard. If/when you build it, could you post your experiences? There doesn't seem to be enough place for the cooling of the graphics card. Btw, I'd place that additional fan on the bottom, so it blows air onto it, I see your PSU is small enough to allow that...

edh

Re: First build - Quiet, Mini-ITX, Gaming HTPC

Post by edh » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:39 am

How important is a compact system to you? The Define Nano S isn't that small for MiniITX. I could put that level of components into the Metis that I have with only a bit of a mod to the top panel to bring in more air to the graphics card.

I'd be careful about using an SFX PSU for noise. Unless it's SFX-L you'll have to make do with a <120mm fan which is not going to be as quiet. It's one thing choosing a smaller PSU to have a smaller case but making it smaller for no reduction in case size won't help.

Consider M.2 if having a really small system is important to you.

Is the Cryorig that good? It's alright and it is cheap but consider something bigger and higher performing like the Ninja 4 instead. You don't want a smaller cooler as 'blocking exhaust fans' is actually a good thing! You want to work the air hard through the hot components of the system to take away heat.

Higher speed DDR4 memory isn't so useful unless it's the same price so consider a lower rated alternative.

Oh, and don't bother with Windows... :wink: