TT core p5 build w/dual boot windows/mac advice desired

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dreamalittle

TT core p5 build w/dual boot windows/mac advice desired

Post by dreamalittle » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:21 pm

TL;DR version

Inspired by James' 2015 build I am building a completely silent, high end dual boot system in an open-ish case. Would love to know your thoughts on whether or not this build will be silent @ 1 metre (3-4 feet) and if not what improvements to make.

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler - needs suggestions
Motherboard: Asus Z170-DELUXE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory - need suggestions
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Core P5 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Full (32/64-bit)
Case Fan: NoiseBlocker NB-Multiframe M12-1 34.1 CFM 120mm Fan
Case Fan: NoiseBlocker NB-Multiframe M12-1 34.1 CFM 120mm Fan
Other: Prolimatech MK-26 - Alternatives?
Other: BCM94360CD Broadcom g/n/ac BT4.0 pcie card (for osx handoff feature)

-----------------------------------------------------

Like a lot of people I saw James' 2015 post about an open air silent gaming rig and drew inspiration from it for a new build. Mine is with a twist though as I plan on having a dual boot windows/mac system. This build will be a merge of Stork's skylake build / Wildwillow's skylake dual boot build and James' silent pc build. The parts must produce this solution: PC/Mac compatibility, maintain complete silence (inaudibility from 1 metre away), and achieve close to best available performance in multitasking and gaming with an eye towards longevity. I'm posting here because I've never built a silent or open air PC before and would really appreciate evaluation of my parts list given the above goals.

Case: Thermaltake Core P5

Love the horizontal placement of the GPU (via pcie extension cable) where as in most cases the heavy GPU sags off the motherboard like some sort of ripe fruit about to drop. I would go a completely open build on a testing bench because I love that idea of minimalism and accessibility to components but (a) I can't find a good value bench available in Australia like the dimastech nano one in James' build and (b) the option of an acrylic (glasslike surface) over the top might be wise for a daily computer. The Lian Li PC-V33 came a close second here but the glass side doesn't look like it can stay on the case without the whole thing being closed (which would drastically increase heat on the components), the PSU looks a lot more boxed in (extra heat) than it does in the p5. Also the Lian Li is about $450AUD..

PSU: Seasonic X-650 80Plus Gold 650W V3

Is on both SPCR's recommended list and Tom's tier 1 list. Only thing I'm not sure about is the version here which is V3; I wonder if this version is noisier than previous versions. 650W is probably more than I need for these parts too so would love some input here for best choice.

Motherboard: Asus Z170 Deluxe ATX

Others have done the hackintosh configs and it has usb c, ASUS fan controls etc. According to Wildwillow's guide some mucking around is required to use a second m.2 ssd for the dual boot, which isn't ideal for such an expensive motherboard but his results look good to me.

CPU: Skylake i7-6700

This is a tricky one, having read a bunch of posts here saying the 6700k runs much hotter I doubt I'll be able to stay silent with that chip. The i5/6600 is probably ok here too but I want the extra threads for longevity and lightroom/photoshop I am guessing will run faster on an i7.

Cpu Cooler

Still researching this. Would love some input. Have the noctua d15 as a placeholder in my shopping cart for now purely because of all the positive comments it gets for its cooling, but have noted a lot of people here don't place noctua on a pedestal for noise ratings. I saw James uses a modified Scythe Kotetsu SCKTT-1000 with stock fan removed and he has wired onto it a Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M12-S1 120mm. As I can't find this cooler combo supplied in Australia, any combo recommendations to achieve silence on a 6700?

Memory

4 x 8GB DDR4 and haven't decided on the profile/MHz yet. Open to input. May need low profile ram depending on the cpu cooler I settle on? Hard to tell from the pics of the board. Tempted to get very high frequencies because I haven't heard of drawbacks to going high MHz, but need to research a bit more on the value sweet spot for skylake/ddr4 (haven't found a consensus on this yet).

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 980 4GB

Not being a hardcore gamer but wanting the option to fire up the latest "AAA" game from time to time means this choice is fairly easy. James' build doesn't specify which brand he goes for but the pictures he uses appear to have an EVGA model.

GPU Cooler + fans

Prolimatech MK-26
Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M12-S1 120mm Fan x 2

This combo I can get shipped from overseas for roughly double the price you would pay in the USA ($240AUD) so am open to an alternative if anyone else has modded the cooling on a GTX 980 to be silent.

Storage

256GB m.2 Samsung 950 SSD x 2
QNAP TS-251 NAS w/ 2 x 4TB WD Red HDD

The QNAP is my 'cheap' mass storage solution which can be kept outside the computer room attached to a router. Lightroom library will be kept on this and formatted to exfat and set to raid 1 for redundancy. My photo libraries are just shy of 2TB for 15 years so 4TB as accessible storage is plenty for now. Separate 4TB USB HDD is kept off site as a backup. "Final edit" library is kept online just in case the QNAP blows up/house burns down at the same time as the offsite backup goes missing. Will keep the QNAP in a different room as it has its own CPU + fan so is likely to make some noise. Happy to take alternative library storage solutions. Looked at a whole bunch of JBOD/twin bay USB3 enclosures but didn't like the look of anything and the reviews all have horror stories about the bare basic enclosures.

WiFi card

Will likely get a BCM94360CD (clone of apple's most used broadcom g/n/ac + bt 4.0 pcie card for continuity/handoff features oob). I've had very poor results from using built in mobo wifi/networking in hackintosh before and I'm very fussy with wifi/network speed. Currently have an ASUS pce-ac68 in my 2500k hackintosh and it only works on 2.4ghz to my time capsule 5 metres away, 5ghz/ac just doesn't connect. Works a lot better in windows but I generally just stick to ethernet. May try ethernet over power (powerline) setup.

Off topic/Other misc bits and pieces on the desk

(already owned) KRK Rokit 5's - would like to upgrade to JBL 530's + Behringer A500 for the ultimate near field experience but having trouble finding the JBLs in Australia, they appear to be discontinued and going for double the price they are in the USA, sadface

(already owned) Behringer ufo202 - will upgrade to something like Novation Audiohub 2 x 4 or Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6, haven't decided yet

(already owned) Atech Flash Technology PRO-77U Flash Reader USB 3.0 5.25" Hub Card Reader
Still trying to figure out how I'm going to get use of this in the new P5 case as the P5 doesn't come with 5.25" bay mounts (you can 3d print one apparently). Need CF reader for my 5dM2 which uses CF cards, also the extra front facing USB3 ports don't hurt.

(already owned) Time Capsule AC 2tb

(already owned) keyboards: Apple wireless keyboard (omg it's so nice and quiet, layout is a bit clunky on windows), gigabyte osmium aivia cherry brown w/orings (omg it feels so nice but DAMN it's noisy), logitech k740 (a harrowing compromise between these two keyboards). logitech g302 is mouse. great size/performance but it's a loud clicker :/. have magic trackpad 1 but don't use this much.

(already owned) Emotiva Control Freak (z-reviews language warning inspired purchase)

Final comments and running $ total

GPU: As I'm not a daily gamer I may wait for the next big round of promising-looking GPU launches before dropping $750AUD on a GTX 980.

Running total price: AUD $3998, includes $135 for GPU heatsink, $105 for gpu cooler fans, $70 for BCM94360CD wifi card, $119 Noctua d-15 CPU cooler (placeholder until I firm up cpu cooler choice).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.