Re-using Scythe Mugen 2 for Skylake

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fyleow

Re-using Scythe Mugen 2 for Skylake

Post by fyleow » Tue May 03, 2016 8:30 am

I have been using my Mugen 2 without issue for my Nehalem and now Haswell build. I plan on upgrading to Skylake soon and don't see a need to update the cooler which has been working fine. However I've read reports that some CPU Coolers are causing Skylake processors to bend. Should I be concerned about reusing my old cooler? The problem I see is that many companies have said their coolers are fine and taken no action. I think Scythe provided replacements for coolers using their newer mounting system like the Kotetsu.

lodestar

Re: Re-using Scythe Mugen 2 for Skylake

Post by lodestar » Tue May 03, 2016 9:10 am

Scythe initially released a list of CPU coolers that were potentially affected that included the Kotetsu and Mugen Max. Ultimately only one cooler (in two versions) was identified as needing remedial attention - the Mugen 4 and Mugen 4 PCGH-Edition. The Mugen 4 used a version of the current Scythe cross-bar type fixing that was completely different to the arrangement used on earlier Mugen coolers. So I can't see any reason why you should not reuse your Mugen 2 for Skylake if you wish to do so.

CA_Steve

Re: Re-using Scythe Mugen 2 for Skylake

Post by CA_Steve » Tue May 03, 2016 2:01 pm

Some background: Skylake CPU package has a slightly thinner substrate than earlier CPUs. Using the std length fasteners found in some coolers meant they could overtighten a bit. When the case was moved/jostled, the torque/shock placed on the CPU package by a massive cooler moving could be enough to crack the substrate.

The fixes:
- Scythe shortened the screws on the current gen Mugens by a turn or so.
- Don't overtighten the screws
- If you are going to be treating your case like a luggage gorilla, maybe you shouldn't have a massive cooler...or maybe immobilize the cooler before moving.