Fractal Design R5/S best case for 1 mid range GPU??

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

laststop

Fractal Design R5/S best case for 1 mid range GPU??

Post by laststop » Sat May 21, 2016 7:49 pm

I just want to verify but it seems over here at SPCR the consensus is if you are building a PC with 1 GPU especially if it is just 1 mid range GPU the fractal design r5/s is the best way to go.

For example if you were going to build a new desktop with 90 watt tdp kaby lake and a 160 watt tdp GTX 1070 and no overclocking than the closed off define r5/s will provide enough air flow and be the quietest choice. Am I correct that this is the consensus? Just verifying what I've read is correct.

CA_Steve

Re: Fractal Design R5/S best case for 1 mid range GPU??

Post by CA_Steve » Sat May 21, 2016 8:08 pm

There's a bunch of different ways to build a decent low noise PC. These Fractals are an easy go-to choice for a single gfx card ATX mid tower build. Great build quality, decent noise and thermal performance out of the box.

laststop

Post by laststop » Sat May 21, 2016 8:52 pm

yea it seems like a very simple safe choice at getting a good quiet build. I don't know when I'm going to finally build out a new PC. It's so hard because you keep reading about the next new thing coming out and I keep wanting to wait for this or that then I want to wait for something else and I keep waiting and waiting. I'm not exactly suffering too bad with my current build since putting the sapphire fury tri-x oc in it and unlocking all but 2 CU's and running it at 1140mhz , it's basically almost as fast as a full oc'd fury x.

Current PC is an i7-980x hexcore at 4.27ghz +61mV V core increase cooled with a noctua NH-D14 temps at load around 62C with the aforementioned sapphire fury tri-x oc and 24GB of 2400Mhz Cas 10 RAM (6x4GB). Even though it is over 6 years old it's performance isn't hindering me too much which is probably why it's so easy for me to keep waiting for the next best thing.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat May 21, 2016 9:35 pm

laststop wrote:Current PC is an i7-980x hexcore at 4.27ghz +61mV V core increase cooled with a noctua NH-D14 temps at load around 62C
This is something that intigues me a lot. How is that six core overclocked and overvolted is kept so low in temps, while my 4770K/4790K on stock run in 80s on load, this makes me wonder into how would temps be on the Broadwell 10 core, i kinda would like to try it, not a big OC, but 4.0ghz would be great, but i fear i wont be able to handle the heat with air cooler, but then agian i read comments like yours and then i think maybe intels is really screwed with the paste on the none E cpus, and the E CPUs that suppose to be soldier transfer better and i would still be fine on air.... then i think too much of a gamble, and decide to remain with quad cores, but i still have a grudge into what really would happen.
For example if you were going to build a new desktop with 90 watt tdp kaby lake and a 160 watt tdp GTX 1070 and no overclocking than the closed off define r5/s will provide enough air flow and be the quietest choice. Am I correct that this is the consensus? Just verifying what I've read is correct.
I dont think you will have an issue with the setup on R5/S, its what i ran before with a single gpu, that said i dont think you will see the low temps you are used to on your six core, then again kaby seems to be coming with 3.6ghz base and 4.2 turbo.... but you can easily clock it higher. But if its like my past CPUs, you will see easily 80s on load, or you will have to diled it.

laststop

Post by laststop » Sat May 21, 2016 10:05 pm

I use the coollaboratory liquid metal TIM. Really awesome performing tim basically the best tim you can get. I can't remember exactly but it lowered the temps by a pretty big jump compared to the standard noctua tim maybe like 5 degrees even. It is inside a silverstone fortress FT02 with the 3x 180mm intake fans. All drive cages removed for maximum airflow. The PC is in front of a window mounted Air conditioner. So there is cold air blowing directly at the tower. The nh D14 has 2x 140mm, 1x 120mm noctua fans on it 1 in push on the end 1 in the middle pulling and pushing and 1 in pull on the end. The exhaust is also a 140mm noctua. All the fans are run at as fast as they can before they start producing audible noise. So it stays very quiet. I went with the many fans at low speed tactic instead of few fans at a bit higher speed.

My PC's always get stellar cooling.

Also gulftown has the good old school soldered on heat spreader and the old school thicker substrate so the chip can handle more pressure from the heatsink connecting to it. Also it is 32nm so the heat isn;t as concentrated into tighter areas as the new smaller processes.
Last edited by laststop on Sat May 21, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat May 21, 2016 10:15 pm

laststop wrote:My PC's always get stellar cooling.
Looking forward to your results with kaby lake and load temps, hope you share your experience with us.

laststop

Post by laststop » Sat May 21, 2016 10:18 pm

Well I am keeping the i7-980x build the way it is but I am going to add the drive cages and I am going to turn it into a big NAS box and torrent seeding box and build my new PC from scratch probably a define R5. Don't know if it's cooling capacity is going to be nearly as high as the ft02 build.

And I don't think I am going to use kaby lake. That was kinda just a hypothetical question. I am probably going to use Skylake-e as I heard Skylake-e is when Intel is going to introduce PCI-e 4.0 which jumps up to 2GB/sec per lane up from 1GB/sec per lane in 3.0. I won't upgrade until PCI-e 4.0 is part of the upgrade since that will allow me to be future proof for a long time and allow me to keep the PC for a good full decade probably before I will NEED an upgrade.