Silent build for game development studio - fitting into 330R

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nosek

Silent build for game development studio - fitting into 330R

Post by nosek » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:55 am

Hi guys,

I'm about to order PCs for me and my colleagues in the office. Decided to put some extra effort and money to build them silent, as roaring PCs are most dreaded thing at work, aren't they. However, being a startup, I don't want to overpay for extra silence that will drown in office ambient anyway.

So the general idea is to fit into Corsair Carbide 330R ($104 here) and the advice I seek concerns the PSU and the CPU heatsink.

First I wanted to go with fanless PSU, XFX XTS 520W being on a budget ($152), but as 330R has bottom PSU mount, this probably poses extra requirements for the cooler. So is Scythe Koetsu ($35) with its large vertical bottom-top fan a good fit?

Then, to avoid the risk of PSU overheating, I thought that better (if not that silent) choice for PSU will be some silent active unit, like bequiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550W ($153) - unless there's a cheaper option - and then some cheaper CPU cooler would do.

What would you recommend?

To let you know, the other components are i7, GTX970 Strix, HDD, SSD, etc.

Looking forward to your advice!

CA_Steve

Re: Silent build for game development studio - fitting into

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:17 am

Maybe you could list your etailers in Poland so we could see if there are better component choices..

The Corsair case is ok. There could be better choices. The Kotetsu will fit fine.

be quiet! PSUs are a good choice - is the Straight Power 10 or 11 available? Might be cheaper than the DPP 10 and just as quiet.

gfx card: GTX 1070 release is just around the corner.