Build upgrade / renew : need advises

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tempo

Build upgrade / renew : need advises

Post by tempo » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:31 am

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking this website for a long time and it's time for me to ask for your help:
I'm upgrading my current config and i need advices on what to keep ( probably nothing much ) and what replacement to get.
This is an everyday use computer, from work (development + several VM ) to gaming (currently 1080 but i better get future proof)

Ofc, as it is the purpose of this website, it need to be as silent as possible :)

Current config:

Case: Fractal design Define R3
CPU: i5-2500K (not OC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3P
GC: XFX Radeon HD 6870 (1Gb)
HD: 240gb SSD + 1Tb HDD
PSU: Seasonic S12II (520w)
Ram: 16gb DDR3

Next config (updated based on shop availability):

Case: Corsair Carbide 600Q if i find a good offer, otherwise Fractal design Define S
CPU: i7-6700K
CPU Cooler: Macho RevB
Mobo: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
GC: GTX 1070 I still don't know, reading the 1070 topic leave me undecided. I will see if there is a good offer.
HD: i will get 1Tb SSD + my 240gb SSD as backup
PSU: Corsair RM650x or Corsair RM550x

Thanks for reading !
Last edited by tempo on Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

quest_for_silence

Re: Build upgrade / renew : need advises

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:51 am

Where are you from (North America, Western Europe, other regions...)? It helps to advice.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:00 am

tempo welcome to SPCR!!!!
tempo wrote:Case: I'm open to recommandation : Fractal design Define S / Corsair Carbide 600Q
Either choice is fine, i like more Fractal design, i would add an extra fan on the front to ensure positive pressure and avoid (or lower) dust entering on other openings.
tempo wrote:CPU: i7-6700K
Are you making use of the hyperthreading? else go with 6600K, its only worth it if you do use it.
tempo wrote:CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen MAX
I suggest the Scythe Ninja4 or Thermalright Macho RevB, either will be the best bang for the buck, and enough to handle the i7.
tempo wrote:Mobo: I honestly have no ideas, so i would go with the recommended Asus Z170-A unless someone recommend something better
Asus is a good choice if you want software to control your fans, its very flexible and has switchable motherboard headers (PWM/DC). If you prefer Bios fan control i would go with ASRock Z170 Pro4
tempo wrote:GC: GTX 1070, i still don't know wich one yet. i still need to read some reviews
I prefer MSI, but there seem to be a lot of good options, check reviews see what you have available as still today a lot of jack up pricing.
tempo wrote:HD: i will get 1Tb SSD
I like a lot the pricing of the Crucial MX200, but if your budget allows, the Samsung 850Pro is one of the best out there.
tempo wrote:PSU: I don't know yet, it seem a lot of models goes fanless under low load. Any suggestions are welcome.
If you want top end, Seasonic just released their titanium PSUs, Seasonic PRIME TITANIUM 650 SSR-650TD, if you want something cheaper, CORSAIR RM550X.

tempo

Post by tempo » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:19 am

Thanks for replies,
quest_for_silence wrote:Where are you from (North America, Western Europe, other regions...)? It helps to advice.
i'm from Europe ( Belgium Exactly )
Abula wrote:Are you making use of the hyperthreading? else go with 6600K, its only worth it if you do use it.
Even if it's not my primary activity, some of my software need do get benefits from hyperthreading. A part from the price, is there some advantage to get the 6600K ( less heat maybe ? ) ) ?
Abula wrote:Asus is a good choice if you want software to control your fans, its very flexible and has switchable motherboard headers (PWM/DC). If you prefer Bios fan control i would go with ASRock Z170 Pro4
I think i'll stick with the software controls.
Abula wrote:I prefer MSI, but there seem to be a lot of good options, check reviews see what you have available as still today a lot of jack up pricing.

Yes, i'm waiting a bit aswell that the price settle down a bit.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:30 pm

tempo wrote:Next config:

Case: I'm open to recommandation : Fractal design Define S / Corsair Carbide 600Q
CPU: i7-6700K
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen MAX
Mobo: I honestly have no ideas, so i would go with the recommended Asus Z170-A unless someone recommend something better
GC: GTX 1070, i still don't know wich one yet. i still need to read some reviews
HD: i will get 1Tb SSD + my 240gb SSD as backup
PSU: I don't know yet, it seem a lot of models goes fanless under low load. Any suggestions are welcome.
Case: unless you want something new, I'd stick with your Fractal Design Define R3, if it's in good working order. Just, I'd swap the fans.
CPU: the i7-6700K is about 10°C hotter on load than a similarly clocked Core i5: do what you think best.
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen MAX... why? With a 140mm fan, sound-wise I'd prefer a Thermalright, even a relatively cheap True Spirit 140 Power or Macho Direct.
Mobo: ASUS is good, albeit I prefer ASRock (slightly).
GC: GTX 1070: there are lots good, from EVGA SC to Palit Game Rock, pick the one you like more on reviews.
HD: any SSD is good, nowadays, no recommendations.
PSU: either a Be Quiet Dark Power Pro P11 550W (high end) or a Corsair RM550x (best bang for the bucks).

tempo

Post by tempo » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:42 pm

quest_for_silence wrote: Case: unless you want something new, I'd stick with your Fractal Design Define R3, if it's in good working order. Just, I'd swap the fans.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking that the fixed hard drive may be an obstacle to get a better airflow. I will see if the budget allow a new case.
quest_for_silence wrote: CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen MAX... why? With a 140mm fan, sound-wise I'd prefer a Thermalright, even a relatively cheap True Spirit 140 Power or Macho Direct.
I took the idea from this guide but i will go with the Macho. It seem the Macho Direct a the latest of Thermalright. How does it compare to the Rev.B ? As it's cheaper is it a lower end version ?
quest_for_silence wrote: PSU: either a Be Quiet Dark Power Pro P11 550W (high end) or a Corsair RM550x (best bang for the bucks).
Is there a difference between the 550w and 650w ? Won't it be better to get a psu a bit larger to keep it under low load ?

Thanks for your time

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:29 pm

tempo wrote:but i will go with the Macho. It seem the Macho Direct a the latest of Thermalright. How does it compare to the Rev.B ? As it's cheaper is it a lower end version ?
The difference between both coolers are small, thus the price difference is also small.

Macho RevB has a black top while the Direct is plain aluminium
Macho RevB has a middle plate connecting to the backplate, the Direct has soldier this plate.
Macho RevB has a white and black fan (TY147A), the Direct has the same fan just fully black.
Macho RevB has a even bottom plate, the Direct has direct touching pipes with an uneven surface.
Macho RevB has 6 heatpipes, the Direct has 5 heatpipes.

tempo

Post by tempo » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:50 am

Thanks for the answers,
i have updated the topic with composant based on offers in my shops. I have changed the motherboard to the ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming as i can have a good bundle for the CPU + MB + RAM.

I guess the controls on the Asus Z170 Pro gaming will be the same as the Z170-A

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:12 am

tempo wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen MAX... why? With a 140mm fan, sound-wise I'd prefer a Thermalright, even a relatively cheap True Spirit 140 Power or Macho Direct.
I took the idea from this guide but i will go with the Macho. It seem the Macho Direct a the latest of Thermalright. How does it compare to the Rev.B ? As it's cheaper is it a lower end version ?

The key words were "even a relatively cheap ": so, if you pick up a more expensive "Rev. B" or "Le Grand RT", that's even better.

Broadly speaking, sound-wise I just prefer the TY140/TY147A/TY147B over the Glidestream 140 (which is undoubtedly a decent fan), so do what you think best.

tempo wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:PSU: either a Be Quiet Dark Power Pro P11 550W (high end) or a Corsair RM550x (best bang for the bucks).
Is there a difference between the 550w and 650w ? Won't it be better to get a psu a bit larger to keep it under low load ?
With reference to the P11, the 550W sports a slower fan (1200rpm vs 1500rpm) than the 650W sibling, so smaller is also slightly quieter.
With reference to the RMx, the 550W has a slightly better low load (where your upcoming build will spend most of its life) efficiency than the 650W sibling: given your expected power draw will be (ballpark estimate) around 200-230W, the 650W will be actually no quieter than the 550W for a modest efficiency penalty.

tempo

Post by tempo » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:55 pm

Hi everyone,

i'm almost done with this config but the PSU choice is still tricky.

Both the rm550x and rm650x are out of stock at my dealer and while the Be Quiet P11 seem nice, but is in the high price range and don't have a fanless mode for low load.

What about Seasonic ? Any recommandation ?

Thanks!

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:47 pm

tempo wrote:and don't have a fanless mode for low load.

Actually it's a big plus, not a minus over the (nowadays) more common on-off things, as it's as quiet as those hybrid PSUs: or at least it's not that common to notice a 170rpm fan. The P11 is definitely "the ultimate 550W PSU".

tempo wrote:What about Seasonic ? Any recommandation ?

About Seasonic, their lowest X or P are good options, if priced well (in western Europe often they're not so). Their latest Prime may be even better, but pricing is higher and actual availability questionable.

From Seasonic there are also passive options (the P 400 and P460), though I'd rather (to them) the Super Flower Golden Silent 430 and 500.

At any rate, speaking about semi passive units (which are usually better priced than most Seasonic), I'd look for the Super Flower Leadex Platinum 550 (SF-550P14PE), or to both the EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650 and G2 650.
And please take note that the Corsair RM650i is almost identical to the RM650x, in case.

tempo

Post by tempo » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:41 pm

Hi !

Thanks to your advices, the build is almost complete and already running !

I'm just awaiting for my graphic card to be delivered.

I have to say that i'm impress by PSU (P11) and CPU cooler (macho rev.b), they are really indaubible in idle ( didn't made a load test yet )

I can't tell the same about the fractal design fans that i got with the case, they were making some noise even at a low speed, i will do some more testing but i'm planning on replacing them by some PWM fans.

What would be your best silents fans for a fractal design define S case and using the Asus z170 gaming pro motherboard ?