Newbie help needed windows 10

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pcnewbie

Newbie help needed windows 10

Post by pcnewbie » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:13 pm

hey guys,

I have not long had windows 10 loaded on to my Dell desktop PC and already it has started freezing and stuttering which is driving me crazy, the computer was fine up until i had the new windows 10 loaded on. I have been looking through Windows 10 classified ads sites and forums trying to find answers but i have not found it yet and the other forums are really quiet not a lot of activity on them so none/slow reply's so i am hoping you can all help! Anyway the freeze occurs at completely random points it is not over heating and all the fans are clear to pass air through it can not be the RAM because i can be only using word and in freezers still :roll: it is becoming annoying loosing all my work and having to force shut down the computer which is not good for the hard drive... any help or answers to my questions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Last edited by pcnewbie on Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noob4Life

Re: Newbie help needed windows 10

Post by Noob4Life » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:09 am

This link may help:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ry-options

I'm not an expert and I don't know what is causing your issues. However, I'll throw out a few thoughts:

- Could you have some programs loaded onto your PC that are not compatible with Windows 10 (and may be running in the background)? If there are programs that you suspect are causing the issue, you could try uninstalling them and see if that fixes things.

- Could it be that you don't have the correct drivers installed for some of your hardware? I assume you can check on the Dell website if there are any Windows 10 specific drivers for your PC.

- If you upgraded from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 I will assume that your PC meets the minimum specs for Windows 10. However, if it is a very old PC (e.g. say has less than 4GB of RAM) maybe you want to think about a new PC or at least upgrading your RAM? That being said, if your PC worked fine with Windows 7 or 8.1 then I would think that it should be fine for Windows 10

The extreme option which should guarantee a solution assuming you don't have a hardware issue (which is the one I would go with if the problem was severe) would be to back up all your data onto an external hard drive and "reset" Windows 10 per the link at the top. You will lose all your programs if you do this (and possibly all your data that you haven't backed up) so you will need to reinstall them. You can't really back up programs so you will have to know where to download them from or have installation disks for them. When reinstalling programs I would install them one at a time, and check that your system works fine after each program. If you install a program and then have issues, uninstall that program and don't use is. When you reset Windows you have the option to "Keep your files" or to "Remove Everything". Either option should work. If you go with the "Keep your files" option (which will still delete your programs), I would still back up your data just in case. Personally I would go with the "Remove Everything" option because I'm careful about backing up all my files and like to start with a clean slate. The "Keep your files" option should be fine too though and may be safer if you are less confident about having backed up all your data.

In my case, Windows 10 did result in some display driver issues on my laptop (occasional display driver crashes). I have a Samsung laptop and it looked like Samsung decided to stop providing updated display drivers for my laptop so I just had to deal with it.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:58 pm

You could try another OS, like Linux Mint and see if the problem persists. That will give you an indication if the problem is software or hardware related.

pcnewbie

Post by pcnewbie » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:23 pm

Hello Noob4life and Victonik

When you say use Linux do you mean running it off of a boot USB drive and running through Linux???

Thankyou for the Microsoft link there was a lot of useful information on there i have been through a couple of there troubleshooting methods, cleaning hard disk etc and so far no freezing but as i said before it is at random. It could be the specs i will go on and check to see if my computer meets the requirements... after i will if it carrys on freezing then i will have to reset back to factory to see if that helps...

If not treat myself to a new computer!! happy days

While i am here what laptops are top of the range to buy??

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:57 am

You can boot from USB and get a live system. This will not touch your Windows installation. You are simply booting Linux from the USB stick. This can give you a chance to see if the problem is hardware related. Also, installing it could be an alternative to a system restore. Just saying.. :)

pcnewbie

Post by pcnewbie » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:55 pm

Sweeet i am going to give it a go i have found a site/program called Ubuntu this has a bootable drive for USB booting. You know i am just going to try it see what happens?? thanks for the advice i will get back to you with the results as soon as i know

Thanks Vicotnik