Silent VR build fit for overclocking

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

T10

Silent VR build fit for overclocking

Post by T10 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:56 pm

Hi all,

I bought my last PC in 2007 and upgraded bits along the way but now It's time to get a whole new system. I will use it for photoshop, gaming, VR, work - everything. I don't care for aesthetics and I'd like it as powefur and silent as possible. Basically I'm looking for a good motherboard for overclocking in a silent case with room for watercooling and SLI after 2 years while having as much power to start off with as possible.

I've put together this potential build but I'm not 100% sure about the mobo and case:
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz
CPU Cooler Scythe Mugen MAX 97.2 CFM
Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Palit GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GameRock Premium Video Card
Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Phanteks PH-F140TS_BL 78.1 CFM 140mm Fan
Phanteks PH-F140TS_BL 78.1 CFM 140mm Fan
Scythe Case Fan Glide Stream SY1225HB12M 120mm
Oculus Rift

Is it possible to add a second Palit GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GameRock Premium to this build in 2 years - will they fit in the case? Will 2 Palits fit on this mobo?
Should I get an M.2 SSD instead? I'm used to HDD speeds and I want to be blown away!
As I said - picking a case was impossible. The last time I built a PC there was no talk of cable management, no SSD-s and the PSU was always on top :). I'm not sure if an inverted motherboard layout is any good - I just read that the 600Q has great airflow. Are these case fans nice and silent?

T10

Re: Silent VR build fit for overclocking

Post by T10 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:24 am

I'm now thinking of swapping the CPU cooler for be quiet! dark rock Pro 3 - will it be more quiet?
Also I'm thinking of switching to the be quiet! Silent Base 800 Silver - does anyone have experience with this compared to the 600Q?

Cheers,
T10

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:49 am

I don't have one of those cases, but the motherboard looks like a solid option: Lots of PWM fan headers and it supports customizable fan speeds in the BIOS.

As for the SSD, definitely go for the M.2. I have four SATA III SSDs configured in RAID 0 and a M.2 is still faster than them!

And finally, I think you'd do better using a single one of the new Titan X cards over a pair of 1080s, SLI and Crossfire setups don't always work as expected.

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:17 am

T10 wrote:I'm now thinking of swapping the CPU cooler for be quiet! dark rock Pro 3 - will it be more quiet?
Also I'm thinking of switching to the be quiet! Silent Base 800 Silver - does anyone have experience with this compared to the 600Q?

Cheers,
T10
The quietest CPU air cooler I've ever used was a Prolimatech Genesis with 140mm Noctua fans. It should be compatible with your case and memory.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1191-page6.html

As for a quiet power supply, I'm reading great reviews on the SeaSonic Prime series and I'm looking forward to getting one myself.