Cooling advice needed

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jatismara

Cooling advice needed

Post by Jatismara » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:19 pm

I finally bought the LianLi triple fan 5.25 bay insert (see below):

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17225 ... ntake.html

and would like advice on the best 40mm fans to use in it. I want quiet, cooling power, and if possible, easy to clean.

Next, it looks like I cannot find the VGA cooler I want, so need suggestions for the best one for Nvidia Geforce 6800GT. Thanks!

Fire-Flare

Re: Cooling advice needed

Post by Fire-Flare » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:31 pm

I'm afraid that no 40mm fan I've ever heard has been quiet without being undervolted.

As for your video card, I'm not seeing it on the compatibility lists for coolers I hold in high regard.

Rather than investing in a cooler, perhaps you'd be better off getting a more modern card with a quiet cooler pre-installed?

edh

Post by edh » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:25 pm

40mm fans won't make for a quiet system. Perhaps if you post more specs and maybe photos we can advise better.

For the 6800GT the Accelero S3 will be able to work passively without a problem if the bolt pattern matched. The S1 fitted fine so the S3 should be OK. Otherwise, getting a CPU cooler and modding may be possible. The TDP of the 6800GT is 67W which by modern standards isn't much.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:12 pm

I can't recommend spending more money to mess with an ancient 6800GT. It's Passmark score is 139. In comparison, Intel's HD 3000 integrated GPU in the old Sandy Bridge CPU has a score of 312. So, nearly any integrated gpu in a CPU built in the last 4 years is better than this 6800GT.

If you don't have an integrated GPU in your CPU, then suggest getting a cheap discrete card instead. What's your CPU? What are your apps? What your monitor?

Jatismara

Post by Jatismara » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:46 pm

CA_Steve wrote:I can't recommend spending more money to mess with an ancient 6800GT. It's Passmark score is 139. In comparison, Intel's HD 3000 integrated GPU in the old Sandy Bridge CPU has a score of 312. So, nearly any integrated gpu in a CPU built in the last 4 years is better than this 6800GT.

If you don't have an integrated GPU in your CPU, then suggest getting a cheap discrete card instead. What's your CPU? What are your apps? What your monitor?
This is a legacy build so everything was chosen specifically. CPU is Phenom x4 9850B, monitor is ViewEra V151H2, and apps are awaiting completion of build...I can tell you there will be XP Pro SP 3, various Linux distros on separate HDDs (using mobile-racks), Sandboxie, and Virtualbox. Nothing else is set.

The Titan Twin Turbo VGA Cooler was what I wanted, but its proven too elusive, so need something to work with the 6800GT that I can actually track down.

Jatismara

Post by Jatismara » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:51 pm

edh wrote:40mm fans won't make for a quiet system. Perhaps if you post more specs and maybe photos we can advise better.

For the 6800GT the Accelero S3 will be able to work passively without a problem if the bolt pattern matched. The S1 fitted fine so the S3 should be OK. Otherwise, getting a CPU cooler and modding may be possible. The TDP of the 6800GT is 67W which by modern standards isn't much.
I can easily track down Accelero S1. Will it fit without blocking anything (PCI slots or whatever)? Is it more effective than the stock cooler for 6800GT?

edh

Post by edh » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:28 pm

The S1 will take another slot up but it should provide better temps than the standard cooler. As already suggested by others, don't spend too much money on this system. Better to mod and hack things than invest a lot of money in old equipment.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:55 pm

Jatismara wrote:Is it more effective than the stock cooler for 6800GT?
With a 67W TDP the S1 should run fanless: I guess the stock cooler can't.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:55 am

Jatismara wrote:The Titan Twin Turbo VGA Cooler was what I wanted, but its proven too elusive, so need something to work with the 6800GT that I can actually track down.
It's probably more an issue of the amount of money you really want to spend. For example there is on eBay UK currently the Gigabyte passive cooled version of this card, or is it the vanilla 6800 rather than the GT. Gigabyte still maintain a support page for it.

Edit: There is also this version for a lot less money if you can persuade the seller to post it internationally. Does seem to be the GT model, note the auxiliary fan.

Jatismara

Post by Jatismara » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:32 pm

lodestar wrote:
Jatismara wrote:The Titan Twin Turbo VGA Cooler was what I wanted, but its proven too elusive, so need something to work with the 6800GT that I can actually track down.
It's probably more an issue of the amount of money you really want to spend. For example there is on eBay UK currently the Gigabyte passive cooled version of this card, or is it the vanilla 6800 rather than the GT. Gigabyte still maintain a support page for it.

Edit: There is also this version for a lot less money if you can persuade the seller to post it internationally. Does seem to be the GT model, note the auxiliary fan.
I have already bought 512MB versions of both 6800GT & 6800GS, so too late for that...same with most major components. If anyone can suggest a source for Cooler Master Stacker 810 (either # RC-810-SSN1 or RC-810-SKN1), that's one I have failed to find. Looks like I still need to find cooler for the 6800GT; one that fits it but does not crowd out expansion slots or anything else (I had to get a Xigmatek HDC-D802 for the CPU because of that).