Another mATX budget gaming "clean" build (i5-6500/GTX1060)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

galgo

Another mATX budget gaming "clean" build (i5-6500/GTX1060)

Post by galgo » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:33 am

Hello everyone,
Following a VERY successful build I've previously completed following your advice here (i7 2600K/16GB/GTX560Ti/ASUS Maximus IV GeneZ/Ninja 4/Silverstone SG10):
viewtopic.php?t=68635

My older son now wants a "gaming" pc for his 16th birthday... which will also be used as his general study PC etc... wired to his FullHD 43" TV for movies/games as well as a decent 24" LG PC monitor...

Primary requirements for the build 8) :

1) Should be rather compact, but being placed under his desk - so mATX, front access to USB and MUST have good dust filters with easy access for cleaning :)
2) Rather silent and stable for long operating hours... - so energy efficient and good cooling (It's HOT here in Israel...)
3) Budget constrained... room for optional future upgrades where possible...
4) ODD is mandatory... though can be behind a front door...

I already worked the basic configuration for the budget - but would love to hear your thoughts - especially on the CASE, MB and PSU.

CPU: i5-6500 Skylack
COOLER: Scyth Ninja 4 (great experience with the previous build -and not as expensive as Noctua's).
GPU: GTX1060 - got a great price on Asus TURBO-GTX1060-6G model here (lower than the AMD's 480 variants).
RAM: 8GB DDR4 PC4 2400MHz single stick (another one in the future for 16GB if really needed) - any specific model/brand recommended?
MotherBoard: mid-level mATX Z170 with good stability and cooling features - I saw decent models from ASrock and Gigabyte - any specific recommendations?
Storage SSD (system+programs): SAMSUNG 750 250GB SSD (significantly cheaper than the 850 here)
Storage HDD (media and files): 1-2TB 3.5", something energy efficient (especially when ideal) doesn't have to be great performer, I see good reviews on the basic Seagate's - any specific recommendations?
PSU: An efficient ~600Watt model like the THG recommended Corsair RM650x (alternatively reuse the Seasonic M12II 620W Modular from the other build and buy a new one due too some compatibility issues with the Silverstone SG10) - any specific recommendations?
Case: This is the main gap for now... Unlike my previous build, I have less space constrains (still want a compact, mATX case though) and less sensitive to noise (it's not sitting on the desktop). I do have to emphasize the resistance to dust+easy cleaning (a teenager room floor...) and decent cooling efficiency (Israeli summer...).
Also..budget is a bit limited - so cost/benefit ratio is important.

Recommendations from my previous build - like the Silverstone TJ08E or the Kublai KL06 are not available locally, though the SUGU SG9/SG10 are available and within budget.
So are the small Antecs like the P50/P70 as well as the ISK600-M.

Since I'm less restricted in size/height - I've been thinking something along the Antec P100 which goes here at around 60% the price of the recommended Fractal Design Node 804 (does it worth the extra cost?).

But I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you again for all the help and support,
Gal

Abula

Re: Another mATX budget gaming "clean" build (i5-6500/GTX106

Post by Abula » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:10 am

Recommendations from my previous build - like the Silverstone TJ08E or the Kublai KL06 are not available locally, though the SUGU SG9/SG10 are available and within budget.
So are the small Antecs like the P50/P70 as well as the ISK600-M.

Since I'm less restricted in size/height - I've been thinking something along the Antec P100 which goes here at around 60% the price of the recommended Fractal Design Node 804 (does it worth the extra cost?).
If you are less restricted in size, why are you looking into micro atx? i mean that will limit a lot of the choices, there are more atx cases out there than micro. Personally i think the KL06 would be a great bet, as its very easy to take out the fan filters, but since you dont have access to it locally, what about the Silverstone PS07?
galgo wrote:CPU: i5-6500 Skylack
COOLER: Scyth Ninja 4 (great experience with the previous build -and not as expensive as Noctua's).
Its good combo, but be careful with the case you chose, as something like the P50 wont be able to fit a Ninja4.
galgo wrote:GPU: GTX1060 - got a great price on Asus TURBO-GTX1060-6G model here (lower than the AMD's 480 variants).
I know you are on a budget, but one of the key things for having a quiet gaming build is chosing a quiet GPU, i have not read a review from the turbo asus, but i would suggest you consider MSI GTX1060 Gaming or MSI RX480 Gaming.
galgo wrote:RAM: 8GB DDR4 PC4 2400MHz single stick (another one in the future for 16GB if really needed) - any specific model/brand recommended?
Chose first the motherboard, then check the approved list of memory on the mobos website, AsRock, MSI and Asus have their lists available, look for those memories to ensure compatibility, and get DDR4 2133, your CPU wont overclock, and you are in a budget, i see no gains on going on a higher clocked memory, save money here and spend it elsewhere like the GPU.
galgo wrote:MotherBoard: mid-level mATX Z170 with good stability and cooling features - I saw decent models from ASrock and Gigabyte - any specific recommendations?
I personally don't recommend Gigabyte because of its fan control, so on AsRock look into ASRock H170M Pro4S, if you are tight on the budget, you can also look into ASRock B150M or ASRock H110M.
galgo wrote:Storage SSD (system+programs): SAMSUNG 750 250GB SSD (significantly cheaper than the 850 here)
Storage HDD (media and files): 1-2TB 3.5", something energy efficient (especially when ideal) doesn't have to be great performer, I see good reviews on the basic Seagate's - any specific recommendations?
I would recommend to look into WD Red as your first option if you want quiet, else whatever fits your budget, i have been running a lot of seagates lately on my server and they are decent, but they arent as quiet as Reds.
galgo wrote:PSU: An efficient ~600Watt model like the THG recommended Corsair RM650x (alternatively reuse the Seasonic M12II 620W Modular from the other build and buy a new one due too some compatibility issues with the Silverstone SG10) - any specific recommendations?
I would recommend to drop it to RM550X, the PC you are building wont need much power, even with GTX1080 it would be fine also, if its cheaper go for 550.
galgo wrote:Case: This is the main gap for now... Unlike my previous build, I have less space constrains (still want a compact, mATX case though) and less sensitive to noise (it's not sitting on the desktop). I do have to emphasize the resistance to dust+easy cleaning (a teenager room floor...) and decent cooling efficiency (Israeli summer...).
I would suggest the KL06, but since you cant get locally (btw do you have the option to import or is it too expensive?). Its a compact case, that will have very easy front fan filters, and has good room to work and to have a big cooler like the Ninja4. As an alternative see if the PS07 is available locally? Btw if you dont have restrictions on size, have you consider going into ATX, like Corsair Q400 or can you get locally Phantek?

CA_Steve

Re: Another mATX budget gaming "clean" build (i5-6500/GTX106

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:07 am

Welcome back. If you are getting an uATX motherboard with 4 RAM slots, then go with 2 x 4GB now. Still gives you upgrade room for later and you won't nerf performance by using only one channel of memory. I'll be contrary to Abula and say if you get a Z170 board and if DDR4 2400 is similar to or just a few shekels more than 2133, go for it.

Stay away from blower style gfx cards if you want a quiet system.

+1 for the RM550x.