My latest build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

laststop

My latest build

Post by laststop » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:00 pm

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout edition

Motherboard: TBD (either whatever 6 core 300 series coffee lake uses or AM4+ what Zen + uses) It will be a high end board though with hopefully 2 m2 slots running at 4x each and a GPU running at 8x which leaves 4x + the chip set for the rest of the inputs. Though AMD will have 32 lanes coming from CPU instead of 20 lanes like Intel, so we'll see.

CPU: 6 core mainstream coffee lake or 8 core zen + (whichever gives me the best bang for the buck in mobo+cpu final price)

Power supply: Seasonic flagship Prime 850 watt 80+ titanium giving me plenty of OC headroom as even though these are rated at 850 watts they have been shown to be able to handle even a constant 1000 watts+ they are just overbuilt.

RAM: Corsair LPX low profile 3000mhz CaS15 2x8GB for only 85 dollars. best price/performance i could find in low profile. If I have the extra money I will turn it into a 4x16GB ram for a total of 64GB RAM and run a virtual RAM-disk for whatever activity im currently doing for max performance.

GPU: TBD it will be between Vega 11 for it's incredible performance and realistic prices and better dx12 performance and more forward looking hardware design less reliant on software tricks than nvidia. But maybe nvidia will surprise me. But I think a cut down vega 10 is going to be the best buy for 144hz 1080p gamers. A vega 11 should be able to push all games at 144 fps at high settings the way the artists designed the game to be played with a bunch of games even adding the unneeded ultra eye candy and still hitting 144 fps. Personally I prefer to play on a 24 inch 144hz g/freesync monitor as it's easy to get the whole field of view in your sights and it's easy to get a constant 144 fps which makes game play so much nicer. I actually am hoping the 165 hz monitors start becoming more rapidly available and i mean 165 hz monitors without overclocking them. Would love even more fluid 165 fps gaming. Whatever it takes to get 165 fps constant gaming at 1920x1080 with at least high settings/ultra settings depending on game. 27 inches is also doable, whatever comes with 165 hz refresh natively without overclocking I will get. If vega 11 isn't enough to push 165 fps at 1920x1080 then I will splurge on vega 10 or a good geforce offer but I want a solid 165 fps on my games as the 165hz monitors will be coming soon.

Storage: No spinning drives in the machine period that includes optical. I will most likely be going with a 2TB Samsung 960 pro m2 SSD as my main boot drive and most used applications and games and a scratch pad while editing. A motherboard with 2 of these m2 slots would be most appealing. And a large 4TB Samsung evo 2.5" sata III drive to store all my media and misc files. If I can get a motherboard with 2 m2 slots I will most likely just get 2x 2TB samsung p60 pro drives + the 4TB Samsung evo drive for storage with the possibility of upgrading the m2 drives if they become available in 2 sided 4TB versions and sell off the 4TB evo. I need at least 2TB of superfast storage preferably 4TB of it and 4 more TB for a total of 6-8TB of silent storage space. If they do release dual sided 4TB 960 pro drives that also means less wires running through the case. Xpoint drives may find their way in here depending on capacity and price. If they arent competetive enough in that aspect i'll just get 64GB of ram and use ram-disks.

CPU Cooling: Noctua nh-d15s with the central 150mm fan in between and possibly an additional 140-120mm depending on what can fit over the ram slots. Using liquid metal ultra TIM for complete silence in CPU cooling.

Fans: 4x extra (comes with 2) Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14 blackout edition 2x for the front on 1x for the side GPU intake if needed and 1 on the bottom next to the PSU if needed. For a total of 3x 140mm intake fans on the front 1x 140mm exhaust fans and 1x 140mm side intake GPU fan. These will all be controlled with asus's excellent fan xpert 3 or 4 software

If I can't get a case with the proper attributes for front ports I will get dual ASUS USB 3.1 UPD 5.25" panels that connect via sata express for 10 Gbps speed (finally a use for the sata express connectors eh?)+ molex connectors for the 100 watt power delivery, for a total of 4 10gbps USB 3.1 type c ports with power delivery (2 on each UPD panel) in addition to the USB 3.0 and mic and headphone inputs built into the R5. Meaning I'd have to go to 2x 140mm intake fans which then I would def be using the third fan on the bottom next to the PSU as my third intake.

I haven't built a PC in almost 7 years now still using my i7-980x OC'd to 4.13GHz on all 6 cores and 12GB of triple channel DDR3 2400mhz CaS 10 and a sapphire fury tri-X OC edition unlocked to all but 2 SM's running at 1230mhz in a fortress ft02 case with all its fan in low audible mode and an nh-d14 cooling the CPU using slowish moving fans that are only heard on taxing loads.

I've got lots of money put away with for this next upgrade and I expect the bare bones of it to last me close to a decade so I want to get it right and perfect. With only needing slight dpu and maybe extra internal storage and faster better ram as the only changes I will make to it over the coming decade.

My next generation build is coming along nicely. Any suggestions would love to hear it.