mid 2018/mid 2019 6 core coffee lake/ice lake build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

laststop

mid 2018/mid 2019 6 core coffee lake/ice lake build

Post by laststop » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:50 pm

It will be a 6 core coffee lake 2018 build and I’d like to maximum OC the CPU but only to its sweet spot not where 100 more MHz still works but spikes the heat 10C the step below that hopefully a solid 5.2 GHz on 2nd gen 10nm process. With I’d say to be on the safe side 250 watt tdp GPU to include possible OC. The m2 slot will house either a 2TB 960 pro or a 512GB-1TB Intel Optane if they live up to the hype or maybe a Samsung 1060 pro by then. Just depends on price performance. The space for the optical drive will house either a 2TB or 4TB Samsung drive depending how fast nand prices drop by mid 2018 so no moving parts on this build other than fans to begin with for the low noise output. For the GPU I will be going with the least heat producing lowest noise fan somewhere in the 1070 power bracket, which will be something Volta or something Navi

So there is the 92mm exhaust fan (it should be of the slim style to allow for a larger CPU heatsink) the CPU heatsink + fan (already using coollaboratory liquid metal ultra tim as I have it. Then on the bottom since I won’t be using it for storage spots 2x 120mm fans can blow cool air directly all over the GPU I think this is a good idea as it makes the usually noisier gpu fans spin slower. Then on the side panel I won’t be using those spots as storage options either so I can have 2x 120mm fans blow cool air directly at the CPU heatsink assembly and directly at the power supply/optical drive mounted ssd. Based on the size of this case the air exchange ratio will be through the roof so having an open vented GPU won't matter. So I need 4x 120mm case fans 1x 92mm case fan and as big as I can possibly fit Heatsink. The motherboard obviously a coffee lake mainstream mitx board. Coffee Lake should have 24 pci-e lanes off the CPU so it could house 2 m2 slots and 1 16x gpu slot and with the upgraded DMI the PCH pci-e lanes if needed won’t be so bad. So a dual m2 slot mitx motherboard for coffee lake 6 core would be amazing, could have 3 tiers of flash storage, 1x m2 with xpoint, 1x m2 with nvme SSD, and 1x 2.5” SATA III SSD, really 4 tiers if you add a ram disk in the front as the fastest. Mitx boards only come with 2 DIMM slots I believe so I would need 2x16GB If I can find one with 4 I will go 4x16GB as I’m addicted to virtual RAM drives when you are working on something with lots of I/O’s.

So I am looking for the quietest most air moving fans regardless of price. I need 4x 120mm case fans 2 on the bottom must be slim blowing directly into the gpu so they don’t hit the gpu and 2 regular 120mm fans 1 blowing directly at CPU heatsink and other blowing directly at sfx PSU and 2.5” SSD. I also need the quietest most air moving 92mm slim profile exhaust fan at the rear. I also need a CPU heatsink, the biggest one that can fit even if I have to replace the fan it comes with for better acoustics/performance. Also need to highest efficiency least heat producing SFX PSU rated at 550 watts or more. We can’t choose the mobo yet but I’m hoping for dual m2 solutions in mitx format and 4 DIMMS would be nice even if they had to use 4 SO-DIMMS and great fan bios control is a must. Will most likely be an ASUS RoG Mitx board. Also the fastest ram I can get while still staying at the 1.2V don’t want the added heat from 1.35V RAM. If there is even lower voltage RAM available like 1.0-1.1V I’m down for that too. Whatever the fastest RAM I can get at these voltage levels and I’ll choose. They all must be low profile on their heat spreaders. Looking for 2x16GB or 4x16GB, but dual m2 is prioritized over 4 DIMMS. And if 32GB sticks are out by then I will want them to make a huge ram disk to work in all the time. Also if possible I prefer the flat cables for the PSU and fully modular, Perfect scenario would be like a 600 watt 80+ titanium fully modular SFX PSU with all flat shortened cable length.

-4x 120mm fans (2 slim 2 regular depth)

-Quiet high performing largest heatsink I can fit in there to max OC my 6 core coffee lake CPU to 5.2 GHz+ I already have coollaboratory liquid metal ultra which u can’t get better other than direct soldering.

-1x 92mm slim rear exhaust quietest with most air moving possible.

-SFX PSU Fully modular (especially since I may end up using only the 24 pin and cpu power and the pci-e power with no sata Molex or anything else) highest efficiency level possible at 550 watts+ output and flat shortened cables for it. Hybrid semi fanless mode would be great too.

-lowest voltage RAM without sacrificing too much speed with the maximum amount the boards and sticks can support.

-All we can do is speculate about coffee lake mitx boards. But if there is 1 with 4 dimms and 2 m2’s it’s an auto buy for me but I’ll be happy with 2 dimms and 2 m2’s. Especially if u can RAID 0 the m2’s 2x 1TB Intel Optane drives in raid 0 man that would saturate all 8 lanes of bandwidth possibly, with a nice fat 4TB 2.5” SSD serving media etc with no noise. We can all pretty much guess it’s going to be an ASUS RoG mitx board as they go all out no compromise using daughter boards and the bios fan control is number 1 and their sound quality is more than adequate out of the box for gaming and USB DAC/Receivers can be used if an audiophile setup is desired.

-Also a question is coffee lake adapting pci-e 4.0 as its standard or will we have to wait for coffee lake HEDT and ice lake mainstream? My next build I want to be future proofed for the next decade with only gpu upgrades so pci-e 4.0 is a must before I buy even if I have to wait till 2019 for Ice Lake mainstream.

-Also question they are currently on version 5 of the ncase m1 do you think by mid 2018 they will add all type c ports with 1 able to provide 100 watts and 1 also doubling as thunderbolt 3 40gbps with DP capabilities. And maybe an accessory cable like they have now adding 2 more 10gbps type c ports? That would make for a nice version bump by mid 2018 considering Intel will have this built into its controller so it won’t affect the valuable mobo space on itx boards.

-With 6 possibly 7 fans in use I will need either splitters off the headers or a hub to stuff somewhere. Splitters and using the bios will use the least room I think? Are there certain splitters that are the best?

-For the Monitor I am hoping 120 Hz OLED takes off by then even if it’s only 1920x1080 but realistically I want a 120 Hz+1440p or 2160p (if they can do 4k at 120hz) with g sync / free sync, VA monitor for its superior blacks compared to all other LCD techs with almost on par viewing angles of IPS. Size should be at least 27 inches but I’d really prefer about 32 inches. For 120hz oled though I would accept 24 inch 1920x1080 even.

TLDR: So looking for opinions on the different fans needed the largest quietest best performing heatsink I can fit in there. The Best most efficient fully modular SFX PSU I can get regardless of cost 550 watts or more. Lowest voltage ram that doesn’t completely sacrifice its speed. Maybe a quick discussion on mitx boards for this build. Any info on pci-e 4.0 and when it should be on mainstream chipsets and any info about ncase m1 replacing 2x front ports plus additional 2x usb 3.0 header cable into 4x usb type c ports all 10 gbps with 1 on the case supporting 100 watts delivery using molex connectors and the other prebuilt 1 supporting thunderbolt 40gbps and DP etc.

edh

Re: mid 2018/mid 2019 6 core coffee lake/ice lake build

Post by edh » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:40 am

In 18 months time there will be components available that are not available now, therefore I don't think any kind of definitive recommendations can be made at this stage.