any spcr articles on fanless true silent atx build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

any spcr articles on fanless true silent atx build

Post by dan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:50 pm

are there any spcr articles on fanless true silent atx build

could spcr describe what specific cpu memory cases
needed for a passively cooled silent desktop atx case?

no fans, no hd, no spinning of any kind for atx
not liquid cooled

everything passively cooled

obviously ssd is a must
nofan or similar heatsink

and low voltage cpu and memory
fanless power supply from seasonic

atx case that allows good airflow

components should have no electric noise

any SSD should work
nofan 95 is perhaps ideal cooler
seasonic 460 fanless is perhaps ideal powersupply

which case and cpu should one select?

is it better to have good cpu and pair it with fanless gpu

or use cpu/gpu combo?

nagi

Re: any spcr articles on fanless true silent atx build

Post by nagi » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:44 pm

AFAIK there are some reviews of fanless mini-PCs (both here and on other sites), but the main problem of your average zero-fan ATX setup is that even one silent fan will provide massively better airflow in a regular ATX case. That's why in the miniPCs either the CPUs are very underpowered, or they are coupled to the metal case that also acts as a heatsink. Plus, most people will not notice a suitably low RPM fan.

Anyway, you might want to take a look at this case:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=69463
(word of warning, overkill, expensive and heavy as heck)

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:42 am

In my experience you will have electronic noise, one way or the other. Especially if it's a system that will do somewhat heavy stuff like gaming. Putting even one very quiet fan in there will make the whole thing a lot more simple.

First, decide what kind of power you need. For a long time I waited for integrated graphics to get "good enough" for me, until I finally gave up and decided on two builds - one for casual use (95% of the time) and one for gaming (fans allowed).
If integrated graphics will do, please give up on this ATX for heat tolerance mumbo-jumbo and get a proper mATX or mini ITX motherboard and a heatsink case. :)

If you find that you need discrete graphics, consider giving up on the fanless requirement or at least compare the two alternatives (fanless system and one with a couple of quiet fans) to see if it's worth the hassle. Fanless will probably be more expensive and you will have less choice regarding the case and so on.

Today many things are semi passive, like graphics cards and PSUs. It's easy to build a quiet system that only makes audible noise when gaming. Fanless in itself is not worth it imo.

dan

Post by dan » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:23 pm

nagi Vicotnik

i dont plan gaming i do think resources spcr should offer for a silent fanless atx pc should be available.

i.e a specific build of an atx fanless for those who want it, like me :mrgreen: