Fractal Design R5 wanting to go ultra quiet

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

KiMPiX

Fractal Design R5 wanting to go ultra quiet

Post by KiMPiX » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:13 am

I want to make my system ultra quiet, i have a Fractal Design R5.

Soo please come with recomandations to what hardware i can use, what i can change.

My current spec
Intel Core i7 4790k
Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Cooler Master evo 212 - Unknown wanting the most quiet/with the best performance
Saphire Radeon R9 290X- wanting to upgrade Gtx 1080 or 1070
Corsair ax1200i - massivly overpowered i know got it suuuuper cheap

CA_Steve

Re: Fractal Design R5 wanting to go ultra quiet

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:57 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

You are the best person to judge what should stay and what should go as you already have a built system. Here's some things to check:
- are you using Asus fan controls to set a profile for your case and cpu fans? Using the bios controls or the Fan Xpert under Windows?
- what temps and fan speeds do you see at idle and gaming load?
- I'm guessing the gfx card is the noisiest component. What happens when you remove the card and run using the iGP? What's the loudest component now?
- psu should be passive at your loads and not contribute to noise levels.

gfx card: what's your monitor resolution and what games do you like to play? That'll determine whether the 1070 or 1080 is a better fit.

KiMPiX

Post by KiMPiX » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:00 am

Well i have had the system for a while and i am wanting to upgrade some bits here and there but my knowledge is a little rusty, so i am turning to you people. I know that my i7 4790k is good, i have only ssd for storage. The original fans in the case is installed

To answer your questions in order

Q-1
using Fan Expert 3 on my asus motherboard on quiet mode

Q-2
Temps at load with gaming,streaming and running 3 videos vlc CPU is 75-86C GPU 80C, the idle temps are in the 40's

Q-3
The graphic card is the most noisy component, followed by the cpu cooler. Then the case fans, the psu is passive cooled untill it reaches a certain load which my components dosent make it do

Q-4
I am using a 1440p display with 2 other 1080p displays

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:26 pm

40C's idle temp are a little high for both the CPU and GPU. They should be in the low 30's in the R5. Are you overclocking/overvolting?

The good news is replacing the gfx card will remove ~100W of heat. For 1440p gaming, the GTX 1070 should meet your needs for high end settings in all but the most demanding games (running video on two 1080p monitors uses little resources). It's about 50% faster than the 290X. The Palit Game Rock Premium Edition (aka Gainward Phoenix GLH) version of the GTX 1070 is a massive 3 slot design with good temps/low fan noise. After that, the MSI Gaming X. GTX 1070 roundup here.

The 212 Evo is a decent cooler for the price...but has to spin the fan a little faster than other, more substantial solutions. Scythe Mugen 5 was recently released. Early reviews look good. There's also the Scythe Ninja 4.

For optimal quiet performance, you may wish to move away from Asus' quiet preset to a custom one, better tuned to your needs.

Are you running with the 2 stock case fans?

KiMPiX

Post by KiMPiX » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:36 am

I have a okey overclock of 11%, i am using the stock fans that came with the case should i change?

I have found Scythe Ninja 4 in norway, i cant find the Scythe Mugen 5 in norway

I will either go for the Gainward GeForce GTX Phoenix GLH 1080 or 1070, ill wait untill amd comes with their new cards the price war will begin.

Once again i am so happy for the help i am getting here :D :) :D

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:33 am

KiMPiX wrote:I have a okey overclock of 11%, i am using the stock fans that came with the case should i change?
The stock fans are probably fine...wait until you replace the CPU cooler and the gfx card. Then, mess with a custom fan profile and see if you are satisfied with the case fan cooling/noise.

KiMPiX

Post by KiMPiX » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:59 am

Once again thank you for the help :P :D

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:01 pm

My pleasure.