Quiet Gaming PC - yet another one of those

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Shadout

Quiet Gaming PC - yet another one of those

Post by Shadout » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:00 pm

Hi.

Preparing to get a new PC.
Initially I just wanted to replace motherboard, CPU, RAM, plus maybe another SSD, replacing my old 2600K system. But things went wrong along the road - lack of a spine - and now looking at a new case and PSU too. Keeping my GPU - Asus Strix 970 - for now. Not upgrading that one until at least the next generation of GPUs, maybe later this year.

Mostly using PC for games, multitasking (I dislike having to close down other stuff while running a game), and sometimes, although not very often using my home PC for work, which would mostly entail Excel and statistic programs (SPSS). Both of which seem to benefit from faster CPUs, but not exactly to the extend that video editing does, so not a major priority.

I don't plan to overclock initially, but might do it down the road.

Interested to hear if there is anything wrong with the build in regards to keeping it quiet. Especially regarding the R5.
While I want a reasonable strong computer, I want it to be whisper quiet, also during games. Not inaudible, but low enough that you don't really notice it unless concentrating on it. Mostly achieving that in my current build with the Asus Strix 970 in a Fortress FT02 case.

Anyway, the build so far:
CPU: Intel i7-7700K
CPU cooler: Scythe Mugen 5
Motherboard: Asus STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX
Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3600MHz
Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 1TB
Video Card: Keeping my GTX 970 for now
PSU: Corsair RMi 750W (I know 750W isn't necessary, only picking it because it is currently same price as 650W. Picking RMi instead of RMx because it supposedly has a slightly better fan)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5

P.S. Coming from a Silverstone Fortress FT02 case which I liked quite a bit, but sometimes it can also be cumbersome to work with (access to I/O ports, some GPU heat-sinks not working well with rotated motherboard position), and I'm starting to miss front USB3.
I wonder if Define R5 is of equal/better quality though? Would be disappointed by a downgrade. Based on what I have read here and elsewhere R5 is not a downgrade, but it can be hard to tell.

Also, I stumbled upon Define R5 PCGH Edition today. Anyone know if it is really better than the standard version? Top and side fan positions has been entirely removed, which seems like the main change that might matter.
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/E-Commerc ... n-1164140/