About Ryzen and I7

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bokka

About Ryzen and I7

Post by Bokka » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:55 am

Hello everyone!

For what we know now, a Ryzen processor power as compared to its counterpart Intel I7 7700 no K (which has a 65W TDP), consumes more or less energy?

quest_for_silence

Re: About Ryzen and I7

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:33 am

Bokka wrote:For what we know now, a Ryzen processor power as compared to its counterpart Intel I7 7700 no K (which has a 65W TDP), consumes more or less energy?
Who knows?

Maybe something more: first test on ES (PC Canard) showed 93W under load, but it was a down clocked 16 threads CPU.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:26 am

Bokka wrote:Hello everyone!

For what we know now, a Ryzen processor power as compared to its counterpart Intel I7 7700 no K (which has a 65W TDP), consumes more or less energy?
We gotta wait two months more to know more about it, specially how it performs vs intel. Overall i expect to consume more energy and to be harder to cool, but thats just me expeculating.

I have high hopes for it though, if they price it right and it delivers close performance, i think intel might be pressure again, and maybe we might see a six core next gen on none E platforms.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:52 am

IMO it's pointless to discuss absolute power consumption when talking about an entire family of CPUs.
What's interesting is the power efficiency, and then one can pick the CPU with an absolute power consumption that best suit your requirements.

Given that AMD in comparison to Intel seems to go for more cores and lower clock speeds I'd guess Ryzen's power efficiency in multi-threaded applications will be similar to Kaby Lake Core CPUs.
I'm not that interested in 16-thread performance though. Performance while running 2-6 threads is far more interesting to me as a gamer, so I'll definitely not get too excited before reading some more reliable reviews.
The current Ryzen hype remind me too much of the hype foregoing the Bulldozer release...