Last review before purchasing

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bokka

Last review before purchasing

Post by Bokka » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:51 am

Hello everyone!

I finally decided that I'm going to buy the configuration. I only ask the last opinion.
Here are the components:

Case: Fractal Dedsign R5
CPU: Intel I7 7700 (NON K, I am not interested to overclock)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD3
Power Supply: Corsair RM650X
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 G1 Gaming 8GB
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-d15s or Arctic Freezer 33

My indecision is right on the CPU heatsink, keeping in mind that I would like to create a very quiet system, I do not feel anything while the computer is on, except a slight hiss when I'm running heavy applications, in your opinion what is the best among two?

Noctua you already know, perhaps an overkill for my CPU, but it certainly gets the job done.
The arctic freezer 33 came out on amazon for a few days and do not know it, but I read that it's quiet and when the CPU is under a certain temperature off the fan.

I now have the power adapter, the CPU heatsink and the video card that when I use windows "normally" off their fans and in this case I would have a very quiet PC. The houses I also chose is big enough and have no plans to install additional fans.

Having a PC like this, where air does not circulate when idle, or at least I'm surfing on the internet, it can damage components such as the hard disk? Or like configuration okay?

Thanks in advance for a possible answer.

Abula

Re: Last review before purchasing

Post by Abula » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:21 am

Bokka wrote:Case: Fractal Dedsign R5
Great choice, i still recommend to add a 3rd fan, mostly to have postive preassure and avoid or minimize having dust coming thru holes like PCIe or the PSU when its passive.
Bokka wrote:CPU: Intel I7 7700 (NON K, I am not interested to overclock)
I recommend the K over the none K, more because its much easier to resell, and because it has higher base and turbo boost clocks, 4.0 to 4.5ghz, to me there is no need above this. But if you dont want the extra ghz or you dont find it worth the price, the 7700 is a good choice.
Bokka wrote:Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD3
Not a big fan of gigabyte, but they have improve their fan control, still today i would go with the other three before gigabyte. Why are you going with Z mobo if you dont want to overclock? I suggest you look into ASRock H270 Pro4, not only has great bios fan control but the white and black will look very nice on the Fractal Design R5, another to look into is the ASRock Fatal1ty H270 PERFORMANCE
Bokka wrote:Power Supply: Corsair RM650X
I think you can get away with RM550x, but if the price is close enough either should be fine.
Bokka wrote:Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 G1 Gaming 8GB
From what i remember from the reviews that i read, one of the quietest was the MSI RX 480 GAMING X 8G, but look into CA_STEVE RX 480 Review Compilation thread for more info.
Bokka wrote:CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-d15s or Arctic Freezer 33
If you are a fan on noctua and willing to pay the price, go for it, its a great cooler none the less. But my suggestion is to go with a better price/performance. This are imo the 3 best coolers for the money that can be manage to be quiet, Scythe Kotetsu, Scythe Ninja4 and Thermalright Macho RevB, personally i favor thermalright because of its bigger fan and the black and white will look great on Fractal design R5 with the white/black design of it.

Bokka

Post by Bokka » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:06 pm

Thanks a lot for the replies!

I've selected the gigabyte z270 because have a AL12200 controller, other boards have the AL891.

The top for me would be GA-H270-HD3P, but I can't find it over the internet....

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:49 pm

Bokka wrote:I've selected the gigabyte z270 because have a AL12200 controller, other boards have the AL891.
Do you mean the Realtek integrated Audio? personally i like more Realtek 892 didnt had the issues i had with the Realtek 1150, but if thats the main reason you are chosing gigabyte, the ASRock Fatal1ty H270 does come with the Realtek ALC1220, but honestly i wouldn't put to much into it, if you are serious about audio, go with a dedicated sound card or a USB DAC.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:43 pm

Bokka wrote:I've selected the gigabyte z270 because have a AL12200 controller, other boards have the AL891.
You could consider the Asus Prime Z270-A which also uses the Realtek S1220A codec and has absolutely superb fan control capabilities.

lb_felipe

Post by lb_felipe » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:05 pm

What do you think of the new MSI 200 Series fan controller?

Hysteresis seems to be promising.