Ultra Quiet Build for Music Production + Gaming

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Casparian

Ultra Quiet Build for Music Production + Gaming

Post by Casparian » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:44 am

Hey everyone,

with getting more and more into Home Studio Music Production, my current system really is too loud and I dediced to do a Rebuild.

I currently have:
CPU: i7 6700k @4.5Ghz
RAM: 2x8 GB HyperX Fury
Mainboard: MSI Z170 Krait Gaming 3X
GPU: Will be upgraded to an GTX 1070
Storage: 250GB SSD, 2TB HDD
PSU: beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 750W
Cooling: (!) h100i v2 with stock fans + stock case fans
Case: Phanteks Evolv ATX TG

When i built the system, I wasn't really thinking about noise as much as I know am.

I will definitely kick off the AIO, because the Pump Noise is even in quiet settings too loud for my opinion.
About the case I am not shure. I like it pretty much for its overall look, but the ventilation is not as good as it could be with another case.

So I am now thinking about, which cooling would be the best with a OC 6700k and a OC GTX 1070.
I really want to have a dead silent build when I finish rebuilding my system, so I think I will sell the Case and buy me a quieter one (Like BeQuiet Dark Base).

What I am wondering about is, what cooling solution would be the best for me.
Because when I go with air cooling, I would have the problem, that the graphics card would be pretty loud, or do you now really quiet GTX 1070s?
And I haven't got as much money, that I would do an custom loop water cooling, if it doesn't makes a really big difference in loudness.

I hope you can give me advice, what cooling solution (custom loop/ air cooling) would be the best for me.
And also, if there is maybe another way I didn't thought about before?

Thank you for your answers,
Casparian

Abula

Re: Ultra Quiet Build for Music Production + Gaming

Post by Abula » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:46 pm

Just change the CPU cooler see how it works out, honestly OCing goes against quiet operation, since you will make the CPU generate more heat and thus needing more rpms on the fans to cool them, but do this step first, a cooler that its not that expensive and should work decently is Scythe Ninja 4, was reviewed by SPCR Scythe Ninja 4: A Legend Reborn, or if you want to spend more money Thermalright Silver Arrow IBE Extreme, the fans above 1000rpms are noticeble, above 1400 are noisy, above 1800 are loud, above 2k its a jet engine, but they will cool a lot, the question is more how much noise are you willing to take for the OC.

About the GPU, the GTX1070 should be quieter than my GTX1080, and personally at 3 feet on the stock cooler i coudlnt hear it below 1800rpms, above that you defently can hear it, but the GTX1070 should be easier to cool, i would check TechPowerUp MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8 GB.

About the case, this i would consider changing last, its a very nice case overall, imo not worth changing, but you could go something more closed like Fractal Design Define R5 or more open like Corsair Air 540/740 or even Silverstone FT05 (but i would not go with MSI mobo into it, its not very likely it will be able to undervolt the AP181, Asus with FanXpert would be a better choice or even asrock using CHA_FAN1 and CPU_FAN for AP181 and CHA_FAN2 for the CPU cooler).

Casparian

Post by Casparian » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:58 am

So you don't think, Phanteks Evolv ATX has a bad airflow?

I often read articles in forums, where people wrote, that they sold the case because of that.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:08 am

Casparian wrote:So you don't think, Phanteks Evolv ATX has a bad airflow?

I often read articles in forums, where people wrote, that they sold the case because of that.
Its very likely because of how it was design, specially on the front, but cases like R5 are also restricted. Overall for me there are two ways to try to build a quiet pc, you either go for a very open setup and because of this you dont need so much rpms and its more efficient in cooling or a very closed and restricted to help dampen the noise, i think both work but more open with a noisy component will be more noticeble, so you gotta pick careful what you put inside.

Casparian

Post by Casparian » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:43 am

Abula wrote: Its very likely because of how it was design, specially on the front, but cases like R5 are also restricted. Overall for me there are two ways to try to build a quiet pc, you either go for a very open setup and because of this you dont need so much rpms and its more efficient in cooling or a very closed and restricted to help dampen the noise, i think both work but more open with a noisy component will be more noticeble, so you gotta pick careful what you put inside.

What would be a good Open Case in your mind?

[mod: fixed quote.]

lego45

Post by lego45 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:31 pm

Casparian wrote:
Abula wrote: Its very likely because of how it was design, specially on the front, but cases like R5 are also restricted. Overall for me there are two ways to try to build a quiet pc, you either go for a very open setup and because of this you dont need so much rpms and its more efficient in cooling or a very closed and restricted to help dampen the noise, i think both work but more open with a noisy component will be more noticeble, so you gotta pick careful what you put inside.

What would be a good Open Case in your mind?

[mod: fixed quote.]
Did you ever decided for an open case? If so, which?