Please Critique My Build List

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

peternm22

Please Critique My Build List

Post by peternm22 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:59 pm

Hi Everyone!

I'm getting ready for a new build, and after quite a bit of research I think I'm close to finalizing my build. PC will be used for video encoding/transcoding, perhaps some gaming (very casual gaming though), video playback etc. The video encoding/transcoding will be the heavy duty task.

Proposed Parts List:

Processor: Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard: Still evaluating options, would like to get a mATX board. Thinking MSI or ASRock at the moment.
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U14S (will need a upgrade kit to work with AM4 mobos)
SSD: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2
Graphics: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 2GB GAMING X 2G Video Card (seems very very quiet even at load, I was looking at the Ti variant as well, but I can't seem to find any in stock in Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x (only $5-$10 more than the 550w version, so I figured I may as well)

I'm going to try the Fractal Design case with the stock fans to begin with, hopefully they will be quiet enough.

Can anyone see anything I've overlooked in my quest for quiet?

Thanks!

Abula

Re: Please Critique My Build List

Post by Abula » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:17 pm

If you are going R5 go with ATX motherboard, if you want to go with micro ATX motherboard, then go with the Fractal Design Define C, its more comon to have more Fan header on ATX motherboards (not always), thats if you planning to use some kind of bios or software fan control. Also remember on micro ATX there are no X370 motherboards, you are bound to B350, which isnt bad, but depends on your needs.

peternm22

Post by peternm22 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:40 pm

I have a few reasons for going with the R5. First is the 140mm fans. I don't believe the Define C supports a 140mm fan in the rear (only the front). Also the Define C doesn't have the built in fan controller like the R5 does. Finally, the Define C doesn't have any spots for optical drive bays. I'm going to be putting my old optical drive into the case for the rare occasions I need to read/write a CD/DVD.

Is there any reason why you recommend against using an mATX board in the R5 (apart from having a bunch of wasted space in the case)? My current case is an ATX case, and I've used an mATX board in it for years.

Thanks for the help!

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:25 pm

peternm22 wrote:I have a few reasons for going with the R5. First is the 140mm fans. I don't believe the Define C supports a 140mm fan in the rear (only the front). Also the Define C doesn't have the built in fan controller like the R5 does. Finally, the Define C doesn't have any spots for optical drive bays. I'm going to be putting my old optical drive into the case for the rare occasions I need to read/write a CD/DVD.
We build pcs diferently because we all have different needs, budgets and likings. I find your reasons as valid, and you should follow what fits best your criteria.

peternm22 wrote:Is there any reason why you recommend against using an mATX board in the R5 (apart from having a bunch of wasted space in the case)? My current case is an ATX case, and I've used an mATX board in it for years.
Well essentially out two reasons,
1) usually micro atx mobos have the 16x PCIe on the first slot, while ATX mobos (not all) have the 16x PCIe on the second, allowing more space for mounting a wider CPU heatsink, sometimes taking out a GPU is a pain with the new locking mechanism, having some space to have your hand go in is helpful, at least in my experience.
2) On AMD, the X370 mobos which are more feature rich are only in ATX, on micro ATX you cant find any X370 (this might change in the future, but for now its limited to ATX), for micro ATX you are left with B350. But for this to have value to you, it have extra things that do stuff that you are looking, else its just a waste of money.

Personally i find motherboards like ASRock X370 Taichi to be very appealing, reviews place it as one of the best motherboard for Ryzen builds, up to you if feel it offers something that makes you pay its premium. If you are looking for a cheaper motherboard, check ASRock X370 Killer. From MSI on ATX i suggest to check MSI X370 KRAIT.

One thing you should try is bios fan control, both MSI and AsRock are pretty good, that will allow you a dynamic or incremental ramping on the fans depending on your cooling needs or load. I would give the slight edge atm to MSI into having switchable headers, but AsRock is pretty solid with their autodetect headers, you need to read the manuals to see how many.

Good luck with your build,

peternm22

Post by peternm22 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:04 pm

Thank you very much for all of the help and advice.

Jotunn

Post by Jotunn » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:17 pm

Late, but I just finished tweaking my own Ryzen system today, so I can give my thoughts. Specs are below:

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700x @ 3.80 Ghz 1.35v
Motherboard: ASRock X370 Taichi AM4 BIOS 2.40 (Most recent BIOS, with microcode update to memory controller allowing for memory speeds above DDR4-2666)
Memory/RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 3200 CAS 14-14-14-34
CPU Cooler: Scythe SCNJ-4000 Ninja 4

I just dialed in the overclock an hour ago. I was able to hit 4.0Ghz at 1.425v, but that is the maximum 24/7 voltage Ryzen is safe to use, and it hit 82 C when running folding on 8 of the 16 threads. If you plan to overclock, start with setting the voltage to 1.40v and bring the clock speed up from there, I would start with +400Mhz and go from there. At the above clock and voltage, I am idling in the low 40s C and hitting low 70s when folding on half the cores. Additionally, when in the BIOS, explore all the menus, familiarize yourself with it. ASRock BIOSes don't have an "EZ Mode" like what ASUS boards have, so take your time in there. Most importantly: update the BIOS BEFORE installing windows.

The main thing I can say is that when you go to install windows, make sure the install media is no older than 4 months. I used my 9 month old copy of windows 10 Pro, and it BSOD'd repeatedly until I used the Media creation tool to get an ISO of the most recent update and made a UEFI installer stick, and reinstalled using that.

Outside of that, the Taichi is an amazing value board, and has either the best or second best CPU and SOC power delivery. It is also able to run Intel XMP 2.0 memory profiles, and does so automatically. Only minor complaints so far, such as the built in Wi-Fi+BT 4.2 card losing BT functionality a day in, which I fixed by replacing the card. The adhesive used on the CPU backplate is crap, so expect to have to hold the plate from the other side when installing your heatsink. It also has no built in USB 2.0, which I need for a peripheral that BSODs windows when it is used in a USB 3.0 port. Those are my only grievances with the Taichi.

In conclusion, I am very happy with Ryzen. I have doubled my core count from my previous Intel setup and paid a bit under two thirds the cost. Once you dial in the clocks and voltage to get the most out of it, this runs cool and quiet.

As for your build, I can recommend a Scythe Kotetsu with it's AM4 mounting kit for a heatsink. Although I am aware that PC parts prices are in near constant flux in Canada, so you will likely have to pick based on availability and whatever price each is the day you go to buy.

peternm22

Post by peternm22 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:17 pm

Thanks for the advice. The Scythe cooler you posted is more expensive in Canada than the Noctua, so I'm going to stick with the Noctua.

How can I tell how old the Windows 10 install media is? I'm planning on getting the retail version on USB. Will it be marked on the package/thumb drive? I may just use the Media Creation Tool to be on the safe side.

Jotunn

Post by Jotunn » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:42 am

peternm22 wrote:How can I tell how old the Windows 10 install media is? I'm planning on getting the retail version on USB. Will it be marked on the package/thumb drive? I may just use the Media Creation Tool to be on the safe side.
I had just built my sister a Ryzen PC and the install stick that came with the new copy of windows worked fine. If the copy is new, just ordered, it should work. Any windows 10 install that is below v1607, the Anniversary update, will not work. The issue is that the date the install stick was made isn't printed on the stick as far as I know.

Short version, if you just bought the copy from Newegg, you should be ok, just get windows updated quick after installing.

peternm22

Post by peternm22 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:00 pm

Just finished the build today. I ended up going with the Asrock AB350M Pro4 motherboard and the MSI 1050 Ti Gaming X graphics card.

A few notes about the build:

-The Define R5 is a very nice case overall. The only two nitpicks I have are the latching mechanism for the side panel (a bit of a pain to use). The other is that the front panel USB ports seem tight when inserting/taking out USB plugs.
-The 140mm included fans have an ever so slight "ticking" noise on both of them. When I plug in each fan individually, the noise is the same on each so I don't think it's a defect. I think that's just the way they are. I'm using the build in fan controller on the case, I'm not sure if that would effect it or not?
-I thought the fans on the MSI 1050 Ti Gaming X were suppose to stay off until it hit 60 degrees, but I noticed when I was getting to 36-39 degrees, the fans would take turns coming on one at a time for a few seconds. The startup noise on the fans is quite annoying, especially every few seconds. I installed MSI Afterburner, and I can define custom fan curves there. At 20%, the fans are essentially inaudible to me. I think I will leave this as the lower threshold for the graphics card fans just to avoid the fan startup noise. Unless someone else has any ideas?

Overall a very pleasant experience building it. It's been years since I built a whole PC from scratch, but I didn't run into any serious issues with it.

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice.