Get rid of HDD vibration

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

OggY

Get rid of HDD vibration

Post by OggY » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:53 am

Good day to all.
I need an advice. Currently I have Antec Three Hundred case and an old WD10EALX. The latter creates too much noise, most likely caused by it's vibration (I can feel it when touching the case). I've already tried noise insulation used in cars, but this didn't help. So now I have only two solutions in mind:
1. Buy new quite HDD. I've heard good comments about WD Red 3TB.
2. Buy new PC case, like Define S.
What would be better? Or may be another solution?
Many thanks for your replies.

NeilBlanchard

Re: Get rid of HDD vibration

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:56 pm

Welcome to SPCR,

The first thing to try, because it is the least expensive, and that is to make a suspension in your current case.

If the hard drive has a high level of vibration, I would suggest replacing it. If it relatively mild vibration, then a new case could be the solution.

Can you record it, or video it in operation?

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:39 pm

If your HDD is old (>5 years) and noisy there's little reason not to replace it before it breaks down.
Personally it's been more than ten years since I purchased a HDD loud enough for me to be considered "noisy" unless it was failing.

OggY

Post by OggY » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:00 am

Thank you for replies.
After some reading and thinkig I've decided to change my case. This seems to be the most optimal solution in terms of budget. So now I need to choose one. I see folowing options here:
1) Thermaltake Supressor F31. Like everything about it, especially the opportunity to assemble 200mm fan in front. In theory this should compensate the labored air intake.
2) Fractal Design Define S/C. The thing I don't like about these two is the bad HDD ventilation. Looks like they are better suited for water cooling and SSDs.
3) Fractal Design Define R4. Currently have one offer for this one. Looks great.

So basically I'm between options 1) (with another fans) and 3). Any comments are much appritiated.
Olle P wrote:If your HDD is old (>5 years) and noisy there's little reason not to replace it before it breaks down.
Personally it's been more than ten years since I purchased a HDD loud enough for me to be considered "noisy" unless it was failing.
Although my HDD is a bit old (3+ years, can't tell for sure) it works OK. SMART doesn't contain any suspicious values.

Thank you.