P180 with rusty screwholes, do I call retailer or Antec?

Share your experiences about noisy computers and components, and vendors responses to your valid complaints.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

noac

P180 with rusty screwholes, do I call retailer or Antec?

Post by noac » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:10 am

Just got my P180 home and started to examine it, I found rust, well atleast I think. Is this a common problem with this case? I think Ive read about it somewhere, couldnt find anything by searching here on SPCR.

Ive found rust in the screwholes that control the platsic lower and upper chamber divider. And also in where I could place an intake fan in the lower chamber.

Could it be anything else than rust that Im mistaking it for?

Does anyone else have this problem?

To whom do I complain to Antec or my Swedish retailer?

Edit: Found several other screwholes the same size that are rusty. Called retailer he told me to bring it in for an exchange. However its 11 km from where I live, so it will take me a while to find the time to do it in.

My question is still if Im the unlucky one or just the picky one. How are your screwholes (no joke intended)?

natethegreat

Post by natethegreat » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:07 am

I found some rust on the screwholes for the piece that the vga duct slides back-forth on, I just put a drop of oil on a q-tip and cleaned it up...

edit: Btw, I recieved my case about 6 weeks ago

noac

Post by noac » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:17 am

natethegreat wrote:I found some rust on the screwholes for the piece that the vga duct slides back-forth on, I just put a drop of oil on a q-tip and cleaned it up...

edit: Btw, I recieved my case about 6 weeks ago
Im guessing that there are alot more of them out there, not as picky. Will check if I can clean it up.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:51 am

I guess you fell for the "steel cases are better" thing around here. Antec suffers in the details of their cases, and is still suffering it seems. From warped doors, to broken hinges, to rusty steel parts.

There's at least one way I know of to avoid Antec problems........ :lol:

noac

Post by noac » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:33 am

Bluefront wrote:I guess you fell for the "steel cases are better" thing around here. Antec suffers in the details of their cases, and is still suffering it seems. From warped doors, to broken hinges, to rusty steel parts.

There's at least one way I know of to avoid Antec problems........ :lol:
Seems that the machine drilling these specifik holes uses a rusty drill or that it makes the metal rust.

I dont really know how to avoid antec, and I dont even understand what you're getting at. Only alternative I got for the p180 is the p150. In its pricerange I cant really see how I could choose any other case. B)

Locklear

Post by Locklear » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:17 pm

i've had the exact same problem. Almost every screw hole in the case was rusted along with the premounted screws/thumbscrews.

I've sent these pictures(and a few more) to antec because AntecRep was interested in seeing them.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:27 pm

Here's the deal.....the screw holes in all cases have to be tapped out after the case is plated, painted, whatever. If you tap out the holes first, then paint it, the screws will be difficult/impossible to install.

So you then have bare metal exposed in the holes....if it's steel, it will rust out quickly (during the boat ride over the ocean) unless you coat the threads with some sort of protectant, grease, etc. This can be done during the thread tapping process......something Antec apparently neglected to do. Aluminum cases don't have this problem.

"The Devil is in the details".......something Antec needs to learn. My solution is to avoid Antec products whenever possible (which is usually).

noac

Post by noac » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:51 am

Locklear: What did he say? Your case seems to be worse off than mine. I tried to clean it up with oil and q-tip as suggested and it seemed to be suffiecient. However Ill have to check these other holes you pointed out.

If you get anything from him ill get my camera and send him the lot. I saw no point in going to the retailer since I don't believe this is just bad luck, I reckon every case more or less have these problems.

Ill contact antec and look for some sort of rebate, bcos this is just not cutting it.

Locklear

Post by Locklear » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:52 pm

I was just contacted by another person from Antec Product Development that asked for information about the retailer I got it from, so they are atleast following up on this. Which probably is a good thing.

Now I have to figure out how to cheaply send this 16.8kg package back to the retailer... :cry:

noac

Post by noac » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:05 pm

Locklear wrote:I was just contacted by another person from Antec Product Development that asked for information about the retailer I got it from, so they are atleast following up on this. Which probably is a good thing.

Now I have to figure out how to cheaply send this 16.8kg package back to the retailer... :cry:
Exactly, my retailer is happy to exchange mine, but to what end? I hardly think the next one is made with protected grease, should I? And I think neither you or I should even have to send it, Antec or the retailer should send for it and at the same time deliver as they pick up a new double checked P180.

Blah, hate this.

If I want a new one It will cost me money and time and Ill have to check the next chassi in the store, looking like a jerk.

Hope me contacting antec will remove this sour taste I got.

pawstar

Post by pawstar » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:33 pm

Did you try cleaning it with WD40?

Are you sure its worth sending the case back just for the rust? You should try to get the retailer to send you something for compensation or at least a gift certificate

noac

Post by noac » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:08 am

pawstar wrote:Did you try cleaning it with WD40?

Are you sure its worth sending the case back just for the rust? You should try to get the retailer to send you something for compensation or at least a gift certificate
Since he offers to replace it and it really isn't the retailers fault plus I got the feel that he could not care less not the compensating kind, happy with what he got.

But hey it might be worth a try.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:45 am

Interesting photo of the rusted screws......notice the rust is only at the point of the threads in the steel case. This proves it wasn't the screws that were rusty, rather the case that rusted. You're just seeing a stain on the screws, not rust.

I think the quality of the steel Antec is using, also has something to do with the problem.......

Locklear

Post by Locklear » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:51 am

atleast they are serious about their image and maintaining a loyal customer base. I just got contacted by them (AntecRep), and they offered to send me a new case straight from Antec. This is service over and beyond the norm.

Everyone can screw up once in a while, it's how they handle the situation when i happens that show which companies are serious and not.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:32 am

Humm....so they're offering to replace a defective case with another identical case, with no doubt the same problems, just not visible yet. Not much of a deal if you ask me.

Ask them to replace the rusted case with a Lian Li aluminum case guaranteed not to rust. :lol:

soujir0u

Post by soujir0u » Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:05 am

I just got mine today, and all 4 screws for the side panels have rust on them...

Also the door bulges slightly, and the stupid magnet keeps coming loose!

I've already spent almost a whole day installing everything into this case, don't know if I'll be bothered trying to get a replacement for it.

GOATMAN!!!

Post by GOATMAN!!! » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:18 am

Out of interest, how many Non-Aluminium cases don't get this? I know many american cars, ok not many, just chrysler ones, have arrived in Australia rusty. It's going to happen to unprotected steel during shipping, it's just one of those things.

Anyway, get a pot of rust convertor. I would do it if I was seriously worried about a few specks of rust. It's not expensive, and may come in handy for other stuff.

I can understand that you don't like paying for an expensive case and it coming rusty, but I would rather go to the local automotive store and get a pot of rust convertor than be without a case for however long.

Locklear

Post by Locklear » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:36 am

Just a little followup on this.

DHL tried to deliver a package to me while I was at work today, which I suspect is the replacement case. Things took this long cause Antecs european distribution have been understocked for some time. Will get back with some feedback about the quality of this new case in the near future.

Locklear

Post by Locklear » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:25 am

Got hold of the package today, and as i suspected: a brand spanking new P180. As a revision 1 case owner I must say i was fairly impressed with the new revision. The case just feels "deader". The front door is straight as an arrow, and locks with an audiable click. Actually have to use a little force to get it open, whereas the revision 1 would open when i looked hard at it. The aluminium backplate on the front door also removes the plastic feel the revision 1 had. It feels solid, and just "dead" as the side panels.

Both the power and reset buttons have been sunken a bit into the frame on the new revision. There is no chance to accidentally hit the reset button anymore as i have to use the tip of my finger to get it pressed far enough.

And best of all. Not a trace of rust. The included anti-corrosion paper was LARGE. Seems Antec has learned from the discussions about the shortcomings of this case, taken them to heart and improved the P180 to make it an even better case.

Cudos to both Antec and AntecRep for a job well done :D