P180 case feet come off?

Share your experiences about noisy computers and components, and vendors responses to your valid complaints.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Salameh

P180 case feet come off?

Post by Salameh » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:08 am

Hi,

First time posting on SPCR.

I recently purchased an Antec P180 case. Upon opening the package, removing the case, and putting it on my desk, one of the silicone feet at the base of the case came off completely. I put it back but it comes off very easily when grabbing it. Of course, it is fine when standing but I am worried when I move it it will come off.

What should I do? It isn't really that big a deal, do I just use some kind of glue?

Also my front door came slightly warped, I've locked the door and taped the higher part of the case to the sides and will see if this fixes the problem when I start building. Not sure if anything can really be done about this, seeing as I am from Australia, replacement might be hard.

Thanks for any help.

P.S Wasn't sure if this was meant for this or the 'Cases and Damping' forum.

vEnEx

Post by vEnEx » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:22 am

Hi Salameh,

first of all, welcome to SPCR. Glueing the rubber feet back on shouldn' be much of a problem to me. And regarding the door problem, mine has too. A lot of others have the same issue, and I myself find it a little disturbing too. There might be a (temporary) solution from Antec.

Salameh

Post by Salameh » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:35 am

Thanks for the welcome :)

I've searched a lot of forums which discuss the P180 and have never seen the case feet come off for anybody? Weird, especially considering the other silicone feet seem perfect on my case. Glue it is I guess.

As for the warping, does this ever NOT happen on a P180? I mean is it even worth returning it if all they will do is send the same warpy door case?

9000rpm

Post by 9000rpm » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:11 am

My new Antec P180 (always include the 'Antec' because they deserve all the bad publicity they can get) has the same door warpage problem. The aluminum is popping completely out of the plastic. Antec is really on a roll with its careless attitude lately, given the cheesy case door and screwed up power supply issues. Why do we continue to support them? I don't know. One things for sure, I won't be buying Antec again.

Regarding the feet, yes, most of them fell off my Sonata, too. Glue held them on for awhile.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:16 am

Just to give another experience...

I've seen 4 samples of the P180 in the SPCR lab, including one very early pre-production sample. None of these have had a warped door, AFAIK. Two of these are in a room where the temp variance in a 24-hr period is roughly 15C~22C in winter, and 20~28C in summer. One is the case for my backup PC and sits at my right, under the desk. If there was ever any warpage, I've never noticed.

Bob_the_lost

Post by Bob_the_lost » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:21 pm

I've got a black SPCR model (see, it's all your fault mike) p180, the door is slightly warped, and i lost a foot trying to slide it across carpet (so my fault really, although stronger glue wouldn't have hurt at all).

Still a great case, just not perfect.

spolitta

Post by spolitta » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:05 pm

two of mine came off while installing my system, apparently they are just glued very unprofessionaly, but good thing is they could be glued back again. Just make sure they havent collected dust/hair if you've dropped them on carpet or something.

Salameh

Post by Salameh » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:36 pm

So what kind of glue have you guys used?

vEnEx

Post by vEnEx » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:41 am

MikeC wrote:Just to give another experience...
I've seen 4 samples of the P180 in the SPCR lab, including one very early pre-production sample. None of these have had a warped door, AFAIK.
Right, but you can't deny there are apparently lots of P180 users who all got the problem. Imo, I can live with the fact that a case isn't checked for every possible detail, so there is a chance that something can be slightly wrong or little missmatched. I don't have any problems with that. Still, such problems shouldn't affect that much cases. Just starting to think Antec should have a 2nd look at this. Just 'wobling' the door around a couple of times so it will keep itself in place for the next couple of days, ain't no real solution, right? I think they have to look a little further and have a look at the way these cases are shipped or how they do respond to great/low temperatures over long periods of time. There might just be a cause why your doors don't warp, and others do.

hbm55

Antec, Rubber stickon feet, and my solutions

Post by hbm55 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:20 pm

I found this site while doing research for my next computer. This is my first post to SPCR. If I had another month or two to cruise the fantastic pages of this site, I think I would rather buy a slide-rule. Please, that was not an insult; I just research everything to death and 7 times out of 10 make the wrong choices anyway. A chunk of the hardware for pc-2006, and near future tweaks, has SPCR advice incorporated.

My objectives for the new "pc 2006" were:
1. Durable components,
4. Low vacuum cleaner tendancies (dust),
2. Speedy components,
3. Quiet running;
and, basically, in that order, if I had to choose.

I am not good with hardware mechanics. Today I delivered my final instructions to the shop that always repairs my pc's but has never built one for me until now. The Antec P150 will go well with our kitchen remodel, if it needs to move. I was going to order a SeaSonic S12-380w PSU, just in case, but the salesman knew the model and heard of no problems. His interest was piqued, having the same "problem" model in his own case.

To the subject..........

Antec:
The best way to shop, for cases especially, is the display models on the shelf. I figure that a case spending a week on Frye's display floor is equivalent to a year on my own at home. While hunting for a case, I found numerous "eyebrow stretchers" in Antec models. The p180 was too big for me, and the faceplate just didn't look and feel very permanent. I was down to Lian Li and the p150/Solo siblings when I discovered my son had replaced his flashy speed boat with a less noisy Lian Li. A desperate effort with my 6-year-old Enlight case - it's still the same, only with two USB ports now - and a few parts salvaged from the pc-recycler told me that I should learn to like kitchen appliances holding my pricey computing components. I had to buy a case from the shop for the warranty, anyway. And, I think the p150 can be tweaked easier than most other cases to avoid "vacuum cleaner syndrome."

Stick-on feet:
No computer with adhesive-backed rubber feet has died with its original legs in my home. The Enlight has three. I think earlier, sub-gig computers had bolt-on feet, but those rattled loose. A search through the bins at Lowe's yielded no ready made substitutes. Pc-2006 will have those little runners locked down, somehow. If not already in the caverns of SPCR, the solution may be a small contribution on my part.

Well, that's all for now, other than to say this has been a great, usefully informative site. Thank you all for your efforts in helping me.

Bruce, in Seattle

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:54 pm

My feet came off though I was moving it around a lot. I just glued them back on.

My door came a little warped too, but all in all it's a good case.

EDIT: i went to wal-mart and got "epoxy" glue.

iamweasel

Door warping

Post by iamweasel » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:15 am

I was looking into purchasing a P180 since last winter (it gets cold here in Finland) and read up on this door warping problem.

I decided to wait until late summer before purchasing to eliminate the problem... And it worked. I got mine about a month ago, no warping. I guess everyone should do the same if they're worried about temperature changes during shipping warping the door.

Now I guess I don't want to move in the winter. (For 2 reasons actually, since the rig is water cooled.) 50 centigrade temperature differences could do some nasty things to the door or the metal components having water in them. I can ofc drain the water, but the door would still be a problem.

Would be nice if Antec actually fixed the problem. It's fairly lame to glue(?) together materials which behave completely differently when temperatures change (unless ofc you're making a thermometer of sorts.)

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:50 am

My P180 also came with a foot that went walkabout. I think I was able to catch it before the glue was covered in dust & stuff and it’s been fine since. I am always conscious though when I move the case to not drag it across the floor at all, which must have helped the life of the foot. This is something I never considered before in all my years of dragging PCs around.

My previous case was also an Antec, an Slk3000B, and it also had this problem. I wasn’t able to catch it this time; I think it got too dusty. So I informed Antec and they sent a replacement.
I also had a problem with a faulty door catch on an SLK3700BQE and informed Antec about it. They actually sent me a whole door rather than just a replacement catch, which I was expecting.

It is a shame to see that Antec possibly have quality control issues. I do though urge people to contact Antec if they have problems with their products even if they are happy to glue a foot back on themselves. If we don’t tell manufacturers about their problems how can we expect them to fix them! By all means have a moan if you wish, but do contact Antec as well.
I personally feel that Antec has provided some wonderful products for silence aficionados and when I have contacted them with my admittedly minor problems, they have responded in an exemplary manner.

PPGMD

Post by PPGMD » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:53 pm

The two front feet on my P180 came off also. Sort of a shame really I like almost everything about this case except the feet, the screw holes in the back of the system, because the side panels are plastic back there.