Enermax Liberty 620 Fires

Share your experiences about noisy computers and components, and vendors responses to your valid complaints.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

phynigan

Enermax Liberty 620 Fires

Post by phynigan » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:23 am

I have recently closed a ticket on a blown fuse on 5-month-old Liberty 620 power supply. I have since replaced the fuse supplied by Enermax, plugged the power supply in before installing into the system and the unit literally caught fire.
I have been a repair technician for 20 years and this is the first time I have ever seen a fuse fail to blow causing the circuit to catch fire. This is absurd, having spent over $160.00 for this supply less than 6 months ago and failing in this manner. I refuse to spend any more time or money on this unit as it has already cost me my time and services for my customers’ sake.
Do not mistake this for a rant, I have been in the business far too long to know when someone is just ranting about a bad product.
If anyone else has had this nightmare occur, it really needs to get around to more sites.

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:12 pm

Just want to clarify -

are you saying Enermax supplied you with a replacement fuse and that didn't blow or are you saying the original one blew and you replaced it with another fuse (not supplied by Enermax) and the ciruit caught fire?

phynigan

Post by phynigan » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:41 pm

The original blew and the Enermax replacement did not causing the fire.

marcosv

Post by marcosv » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:25 pm

phynigan wrote:The original blew and the Enermax replacement did not causing the fire.
So what was the short that caused the original fuse to blow?

I've remember in the old AT days how a mis-wired power switch caused all the caps in the power supply to blow. Made a lot noise, flash, and smoke. Fortunately the PSU didn't catch fire and everything in the case (except for the PSU) were perfectly fine.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:29 pm

ISTR that you need really high temps (300C+?) to make a PCB catch fire?