Nexus HSF

Share your experiences about noisy computers and components, and vendors responses to your valid complaints.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

doveman

Nexus HSF

Post by doveman » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:44 am

I just bought a "Nexus PHT 3600 Skive Tech Silent Pentium 4 Heat Sink & Fan" and it's not silent. In fact, it's not every very quiet. If I'd noticed that it uses a 70mm fan before I bought it, I might have been a bit more sceptical, but I'd read good things about Nexus fans and bought this thinking that all their products would be just as good.

I've got a Zalman F2 92mm (PS92252H) which is running at 7v to cool my P3 600Mhz Katmai, which I believe has specs at 7v of 1600RPM, 17cfm and 22.6dBA, and the Nexus HSF at 12v is definitely louder than that, so it can't only be generating 19 dBA like the specs claim

I can make it acceptable by running it at 7v, but I could probably have done that with the HSF that came with the PC (Coolermaster fan). In fact, if I find this is the case and the temperatures are acceptable, I'll be demanding a refund from the supplier (including the return postage. Why should I be £3 out of pocket with nothing to show for it?)

On a more positive note, the Nexus 80mm fans I bought are very quiet, so I might replace the 92mm Zalman with one of those, as they appear to be much better (Nexus 22cfm 19dBA @12v vs Zalman 17cfm 22.6dBA @7v). However, whilst I got the Nexus stats from here, the Zalman's stats come from http://www.pcpro.co.uk/custompc/labs/92627/zalman.html so they might not be accurate/comparable (in their tests, they found the Nexus 80mm produced 13cfm @26.4dBA!). Is there anywhere here that has results for these two fans under the same test conditions?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:31 am

Greetings,

What socket is your CPU? You could use a Thermalright with a Nexus fan, or a Zalman 7000 Al/Cu, in all likelihood. Nexus also make an very quiet 92mm fan, and there are other quiet fans, too.

doveman

Post by doveman » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:46 pm

Hi

It's a socket 478 P4 2.8ghz. I've put the original HSF (Cooler Master fan) back on now and it's actually a bit quieter at 7v than the Nexus HSF was so that's definitely going back.

I'll take a look at the products you mentioned. I've actually managed to knacker my graphics card so I've got to replace that and so I'll be looking for quiet coolers for both that and the CPU, so maybe I'll be able to use a Nexus 120mm for both.

doveman

Post by doveman » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:58 am

Well, they (www.novatech.co.uk) had their chance and blew it.

After telling them that I wanted a refund as the item didn't fit it's description, they replied (3 days later) with an RMA number and said that they would test the item and replace it if it was found to be faulty.

I replied that I wasn't claiming it was faulty, but that it didn't fit it's description and that I wanted a refund on that basis. They've decided to ignore that e-mail (sent twice on 2 different days) and a further e-mail informing them that I would be contacting Trading Standards if they continued to ignore my e-mails, which I have now done, so I'll have to see what happens.

They also refused to publish my review of the item I tried to post immediately after testing it a couple of weeks ago, so bear in mind that they may well only publish complimentary reviews on their site.