ASUS Mobo packaging

Share your experiences about noisy computers and components, and vendors responses to your valid complaints.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

bobe

ASUS Mobo packaging

Post by bobe » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:40 pm

I received a P5B deluxe from newegg today. Upon inspection, I was surprised to see that

1. There was no foam used in the packaging - only cardboard and the ESD bag.

2. The ESD bag protecting the mobo, did not have any type of sticker or seal.

Is such packaging is standard ASUS practice?

Bob

oso

Post by oso » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:48 pm

That's how my M2NPV-VM came, so it seems like that's standard practice. I haven't had any problems so far, so I guess the packaging is good enough. I don't think a piece of foam under the board would really offer much more protection anyway.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:24 pm

my p5b-e came the same way. pretty solid, actually. more impressed by that then by newegg's shipping practices (styrofoam peanuts and bubblewrap - can you say ESD?).

Shhh,Peaceful

Post by Shhh,Peaceful » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:12 am

That's the way my P5N E-SLI came.

As for New Egg, when they packed it, they put the MOBO box on the bottom of the shipping box and just put peanuts on top. If the box got dropped all the shock would go straight to the MOBO.

That's terrible.

bobe

Post by bobe » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:06 pm

Thanks for the conformation. I'm used to receiving board level products in better packaging. Although it seems that all electronics manufactures are cuttings costs wherever they can...

Last year we ordered some VME hardware from Motorola - a SBC and a PMC SCSI module. While the SBC is significantly higher in sophistication (and cost), it was packaged with just a ESD bubble wrap bag in a cardboard "membrane" box. The PMC module was packaged in a metalized film bag (w/ an adhesive seal) and a ESD bubble wrap bag in the same type of cardboard box. A "Packaging Engineer" at Motorola would not explain the difference in packaging, or even say how the items are supposed to packaged at the factory - lame. At that at the time they were moving production from the US to Mexico and may have been changing packaging as well. Can only guess.

I agree about newegg's packaging - its pretty lame. I suspect that's a significant factor in premature OEM HDD drive failures. They should have used a better box - this lightweight single-wall box could not be reused for merchandise return. Also, part of my bad attitude w/ newegg stems from the fact that they packed the carton with the mobo box on the bottom, letting the board bear the weight of the other components - with virtually no peanuts. The mobo box is pretty strong, so maybe this will be a non-issue. UPS damaged the Antec SOLO case - the left side is about 1/2" shorter than the right.

Bob

P.S. I just found out that the Corsair 520W ATX power supply is dead. Not that that is related to newegg.