HP OfficeJet 7210 - buzzing / whining

Share your experiences about noisy computers and components, and vendors responses to your valid complaints.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

cloneman

HP OfficeJet 7210 - buzzing / whining

Post by cloneman » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:52 pm

Well the topic title pretty much says it all. Seems to come from the card reader. Buzzing is lower when the printer is off, but is still present.

Not mind-blowing, but its there. Seems to come from near the card reader.

At least its a network printer, so you have to option of putting it further away from you.

Seems to be confirmed here:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0. ... cnt#998455

Wasn't sure where to post this. Other than that I think its a great unit overall, though I don't do pictures much. It's fast and you can scan and use the card reader over a network (or USB).

gadgeteer

Post by gadgeteer » Tue May 01, 2007 1:19 am

Hi I also had a similar problem with a noisy printer, but recently I have found a great tech support site that help me solve my problem. The printer was different than yours but maybe you can find a solution about it there. They have also free live support so you can chat with experts.

Here is the page for HP Officejet 7210 Support:

Good luck

Gary

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Tue May 01, 2007 5:34 am

Thanks for the link. I've already contacted HP Support. They first suggested replacing the power adapter, but after some searching I found a post by another user on cnet forums that had exactly the same issue (he even checked other models in store to confirm his claims), so it's a fairly strong bet that this falls within their QOS. I did tell support to forward my complaint to the design teams or wtv though.

Good news is the noise isn't overly disturbing - but it's there, and this _is_ SPCR. However since it's a network printer it's cheap and easy to move it away from you. I find it particularly annoying that the sound doesn't go away when you turn if off.... why does a printer need to use power, however little it may be, when it's off? An article for EPCR :lol:

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue May 01, 2007 6:00 am

why does a printer need to use power, however little it may be, when it's off?
this applies to PC's too,you'd be surprised how much they use when OFF (note not in standby or S3, but off). Mine uses 12W!

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Tue May 01, 2007 6:22 am

jaganath wrote:
why does a printer need to use power, however little it may be, when it's off?
this applies to PC's too,you'd be surprised how much they use when OFF (note not in standby or S3, but off). Mine uses 12W!
Yeah I know. There's also the fact that all power bricks and wall warts use some power if they are plugged in and have no load from external sources...

Most CRTs (monitors and TVs) also use at least 5W on off. (more on standby)