A depressing read for anyone thinking of a new build

Share your experiences about noisy computers and components, and vendors responses to your valid complaints.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

oldabelincoln

A depressing read for anyone thinking of a new build

Post by oldabelincoln » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:56 pm

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3279&p=1

I remain convinced that it's a miracle that these damn things ever work at all.

One page of irrelevancy (the first) and 4 pages of appalling corporate malfeasance in marketing and engineering. And this from a conservative, responsible site.

A must read for anyone with interest in PC hardware. You don't need to be an expert, or even interested in the specific issues to appreciate the mendacity and/or incompetence being described. Just soldier through the unfamiliar stuff, and you'll get the flavor, all right.

Pfui.

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:45 pm

I never want to be the first to build a particular configuration. It is best to wait and learn from the experience of those adventurous individuals who plunge into new technology head first. Before I started my first build I had already seen a number of SPCR forum members who had put together very similar systems with good results. A large part of the fun of system building is doing the necessary homework beforehand. If every step is planned well things tend to go very smoothly. It is not surprising that reviewers at Anandtech run into frequent problems with new technology.

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:54 pm

The 780G thing isnt that good, but it isnt fatal. I'd never bother to run a phenom in that board anyway, I'd use it for a HTPC or similar, not an uber gaming rig with a phenom...

The Nvidia and gigabyte thing is really bad, but doesnt really come as a surprise. The later nvidia chipsets for intel cpus hasnt impressed me the least. (I still miss my Asus A7N8X-E DLX / nForce2 rig with a 2500+ Barton, but my sister inherited that..)

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:00 am

Simple solution. Use intel chipsets with intel CPUs.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:59 am

World + dog appears to be bringing out updates, revisions, platforms, solutions, blah blah blah, quicker and quicker - often before any of the old stuff has had a chance to mature. Leave them to it I say. Wait till a stable, affordable, well-performing middle ground appears, buy it, build it, use it, enjoy it, rinse, repeat.

Good link - confirms my impression of the entire industry at the moment though: everyone else scrabbling in Intel's wake and more's the pity.

Spare Tire

Post by Spare Tire » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:53 pm

JazzJackRabbit wrote:Simple solution. Use intel chipsets with intel CPUs.
From what i understand, power regulation has nothing to do with the chipset (or the cpu in itself for that matter). It's up to the board maker to certify their board to be compatible with whatever cpu.
But i don't like the fact that AMD has to be making chips with TDP over 100W.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:19 pm

Spare Tire wrote:
JazzJackRabbit wrote:Simple solution. Use intel chipsets with intel CPUs.
From what i understand, power regulation has nothing to do with the chipset (or the cpu in itself for that matter). It's up to the board maker to certify their board to be compatible with whatever cpu.
But i don't like the fact that AMD has to be making chips with TDP over 100W.
I was referring to data corruption issues on 680/780/790 boards. I think there is very little reason to buy nVidia motherboard for intel CPUs other than running SLI. nVidia top end motherboards are just as expensive as intel ones and have issues that Intel motherboards do not.

Regarding power consumption AMD has definitely fallen behind intel here. Kind of scary hearing about CPUs killing motherboards though.

Spare Tire

Post by Spare Tire » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:09 pm

Well personally i haven't tried any intel cpu on nvidia chipset yet but i've tried am2 on nvidia and they've got some cool features. Like the nvidia ide drivers that let you hotswap sata without all the AHCI nightmare. I never got my intel platform to do the AHCI, mainly because i didn't try harder than switching the option in bios, but if it's not that simple, i'm not gonna jump through hoops for it.