holding my breath

Share your experiences about noisy computers and components, and vendors responses to your valid complaints.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Elohim

holding my breath

Post by Elohim » Fri May 30, 2008 11:00 am

My Phantom 500W seems to be on the way to a certain death.. I really can't turn my computer off; it takes to much time to boot it after it's been off.

Like others in this thread has posted, a hissing sound - a kind of sparkling, and blinking LEDs on my dvd are noticed when trying to power on. After like 5-10 on and offs eventually it boots correctly and then works perfect until power-off.

I thing I have like 2 months uptime on my Vista due to this error. However, reboot sems to work without problems.

I really would RMA it for a new one, but can't be without my computer that long..

=/

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Fri May 30, 2008 1:29 pm

I experienced similar symptoms with a faulty motherboard as well as a failing dvd drive. A 20 dollar psu could help you find the faulty component and keep your computer running if you eventually have to rma the phantom.

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Fri May 30, 2008 2:08 pm

It's a good idea to keep some functional spare parts around for testing purposes. I keep a cheap psu, keyboard, mouse, and graphics card around incase something goes foul.