Notebook Heatpipes Coolers

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Slaugh

Notebook Heatpipes Coolers

Post by Slaugh » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:45 pm

Anybody tried those notebook heatpipes coolers? I'm still searching for a better way to cool my laptop and lower the CPU temperature. Nexus is making one of these (TDD-3000).

Is it doing a good job? I need to lift my laptop a bit to improve cooling now, so this heatpipe idea sounds good to me... What do you think about that product?

patord

Post by patord » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:38 am

I bought one for the novelity a long time ago. The main issue will be:

are the heatpipes anywhere near your major sources of heat on the bottom of your notebook?

Look where the heatpipes are in the pic. If your CPU and RAM are towards the middle or edge, this thing will do almost no good. Most notebooks already come with rubber isolators so there is no direct heat contact to the aluminum slab unless you remove them. I know, because that's what I ran into.

stubek

Post by stubek » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:38 am

slaugh,
what lap top are you using just for reference?

i was just looking at the same unit
Kevin

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:16 pm

My laptop is an Asus D1500T... It uses a standard P4 processor and standard DDR RAMs... Right now, a P4 2.67Ghz and 512MB are installed... The CPU is cooled by a heatpipe cooler and a nasty fan who ramps up most of the time... This fan is placed in top of the keyboard and it's really not a Nexus! I need to keep the CPU below 50°C, at 51°C the fan starts to spin pretty fast with clicking noise. If I lift up the laptop a bit, I can keep it a bit cooler (about 2 degrees less), because the heat is no more trapped under the laptop... I guess a laptop cooler, if well designed, can make a good difference...

I didn't order a Nexus TDD-3000 yet. I tried to order one a few months ago but couldn't get it because it was no more available at FrontierPC... The only one I can find right now in Canada is the BYTECC TD-3000 at NCIX, but I have no idea if this brand is good or not... And strangely, the model is pretty similar to the Nexus one (TD-3000 and TDD-3000). Maybe it's exactly the same... Here's a photo of the Bytecc TD-3000:

Hmmmm... I just looked at the part numbers... The part number of the Bytecc TD-3000 is "TDD-3000"... So it must be the same after all... but a bit cheaper (64.59$ CAD for the Nexus, 50.73$ CAD for the Bytecc). Maybe the Nexus notepad coolers are rebadged versions of the Bytecc coolers?!?!

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:29 am

I have that Nexus heatpipe cooler on a G4 1GHz Powerbook (which produces way less heat than any P4 laptop ever).

And the Nexus really doesn't help my G4 laptop a lot, even the laptop does get hot from the bottom.

Yes, the time before the fans kick in is lengthened somewhat, but not significantly.

As such, I consider the Nexus for my laptop a very minor cooling boost at most.

If you want to consider a fanned option, the Cooler Master is supposed to be amongst the most effective (while being least noisy of the models with fans). Look for a test / review at tomshwardware.

regards,
halcyon

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Wed May 18, 2005 2:15 pm

How, (but more interestingly why) does a keyboard become "cooler"?

http://www.nexustek.nl/images/NB_CHART.jpg

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Wed May 18, 2005 2:27 pm

From the heat that's conducted from underneath it, of course.