laptop fan coolers

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

patord

laptop fan coolers

Post by patord » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:48 am

Just curious if anyone has tried any of the fan based laptop coolers that runs off your USB port... and has a controllable fan speed dial.

I bought a bobo one at a computer show over a year ago. It's all plastic and extremely light, and had 4 sleeve bearing fans. Controllable with a speed dial, so I had it acceptably quiet. Perfect until now. The fans are starting to seize. As I figured, this thing went everywhere my notebook went so I knew the fans would fail eventually due to the sleeve bearings life span.

There's a couple out there from Vantec, etc. so wanted opinions before I hunt around again. Most of the reviews on other sites about these things do not really answer questions from a spcr reader's concerns.

TIA

and for the record, my notebook's bottom does get hot enough to cause a lawsuit due to burning of private parts if left for a period of time in my lap. :twisted:

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:58 am

You can try oil the fans instead. Just open the plug on fan hub (normally on exhaust side under label). One drop is enough.