IBM Thinkpad X40 - This is a silent notebook.

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

daba
Friend of SPCR

IBM Thinkpad X40 - This is a silent notebook.

Post by daba » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:37 pm

I recently received an IBM Thinkpad X40 1.4GHz Pentium 738 Dothan.

I purchased this model after using my friend's 1.2GHz X40, which was also, literally, inaudible. The fan does not turn on unless experiencing load (namely installing apps) but for browsing the web, office use, or other CPU unintensive activities this notebook is extremely silent. In fact, the only thing I can hear is the 1.8'' 4200 RPM hard drive when the notebook is access data.

What's more, it weighs in at only 2.7 pounds. The lack of an optical drive may be a turn off for some, but I'm focusing mainly on the acoustics in this thread.

The keyboard is relatively quiet, but top notch. IBM definitely makes some of the best keyboards available on the market, and they even managed to shove a near-full sized keyboard on a 12.1'' laptop.

I definitely recommend this notebook!

Sam Williams

Post by Sam Williams » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:57 am

I've used my friend's X40 quite a bit. daba, you're absolutely right: the keyboard is right up there with the best I've tried. It's very quiet, too.

What's even more outstanding about the X40 is the build quality, which is instantly appreciable on handling. I've never seen such a well-constructed notebook, which is even more amazing given its weight. SavRow, Sony and Apple's top machines are close, but this is a step beyond them.

It's damned expensive though, and the lack of an optical drive does rule it out for me. It's maybe -too- business-centric in its appearance, too; a little cold and humourless. Still - one hell of a machine.