ChemBook 2056

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

heise

ChemBook 2056

Post by heise » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:55 am

This post is by way of gratitude to this forum. I needed a completely quiet laptop to replace my high-decibeled Dell, and this forum led me to the ChemBook 2056 at Discount Laptops.

My assessment of the computer after five days of usage:

Word Processing and Internet browser usage involves no noise at all. The fan does not operate during this kind of usage. The hard drive occasionally ticks like a watch - a sound that can be discerned only if the room is quiet enough.

The fan does operate when the CPU is being used heavily. The only reliable cause of this that I found is examining the BIOS before Windows loads, but there were other occasions while loading software. The fan typically shuts off after a minute.

WARNING: do not set the machine on a pillow for laptop usage: this causes overheating and constant fan noise; I now set it on a clipboard for laptop usage.

The fan is about half as noisy as the fan on my Dell.

The CD/DVD drive is noisy. This is not a problem if you're just loading or saving data. But it might be distracting if you were trying to watch a movie.

Other issues. The battery really does keep going for 4+ hours. Discount Laptops has been an agreeable company to work with - so far.

I hope this message helps someone else, as earlier messages helped me.