My HP dv9030 was quiet at first, but now it's very loud

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Brightbelt

My HP dv9030 was quiet at first, but now it's very loud

Post by Brightbelt » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:07 pm

Hi,
I use my HP dv9030 laptop for a portable recording studio, and at first this laptop was as quiet as could be. I loved it! ...Until I upgraded it to Vista :(

Then the processor fan noise started (I think that's what it is). I ended up taking Vista off eventually and restoring the notebook to its factory conditions OS-wise. It helped a little bit, but the processor fan seemed to have passed a point of no return.

I've even reformatted my drive again and uninstalled as much of the bloatware as I can. So I've got just what I need in terms of programs and not too much extra stuff.

This seems to not really have helped very much. Does anyone have any other ideas of how to quiet it down? Maybe something in Power management?

I appreciate any ideas or suggestions.
Many Thanks for any help, Frank B.

Copper
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Copper » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:52 pm

I don't know what hardware your laptop contains. My Dell Latitude D400 with a PentiumM didn't speed step when I bought it used. I had to download Intel's speedstep utility.

It may be that installing Vista wiped out factory speedstep software or settings. You could download CPU-Z. It will show you your CPU clock speed, real time. If your CPU is supposed to clock down but is running full speed with an idle desktop then you have found the problem.

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:11 pm

download notebook hardware control and undervolt the cpu, also how old is this laptop? the fan might have sucked up alot of dust and shit while running vista...

Brightbelt

Post by Brightbelt » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:35 pm

Thanks for responding, both of you.

My HP has an Intel Core 2 Duo processor @1.66 Ghz, and the laptop is maybe approaching 1 year old, if that.

There are 2 separate, internal hard drives, one for the OS and the other for the data. Of course I took Vista off and the HP is running on Windows XP Media Center 2002 SP2.

When you say "download the notebook hardware control and undervolt the cpu", that's a lot to assume that I would know about. For instance, what is "the notebook hardware control" and where do I download it, and how do I undervolt the CPU?

Many Thanks, Frank B.[/u]

Brightbelt

Post by Brightbelt » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:00 pm

Btw, my apologies - I found the Notebook Hardware Control and am downloading it right now on my laptop.

;) Thanks, Frank B.

jonmcc33

Post by jonmcc33 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:26 pm

Did you ever resolve this? I notice that my Dell D400 laptop and wife's Dell D505 laptop will not use SpeedStep with Vista. All patches have been applied and even if I install SP1 final it will not work. Runs full speed all the time and therefore cuts down quite a bit on battery time.

Brightbelt

Post by Brightbelt » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:39 pm

Hi,
No, I did not really resolve all this. I actually switched most of my stuff to Mac. I do still have the HP laptop and I still run it on XP.

I did a full re-install/reformat and only installed software necessary for recording and that has helped some. It stays quiet for a while but it will kick into making noise after 40 minutes or so.

Good Luck.

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:02 pm

Has the nature of the sound changed? That could be due to dust collection.
Another problem I have experienced was poor heatsink contact after moving the computer around which was fixed under warranty.

But it might as well be a software issue like the others have pointed out.
Did you reinstall windows through one of your own discs? It could be that the version preinstalled on the laptop had proprietary drivers necessary to fully take advantage of the cpu`s power savings.

Running CPUZ is the first step to verify the speed and voltage of the processor at idle. It would be a good idea to post those here.