HDD Upgrade - which generates the least heat?

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tropolite

HDD Upgrade - which generates the least heat?

Post by tropolite » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:16 am

Hi

I wish to upgrade my notebook's HDD to a 400 - 500Gb. Either 5400 or 7200rpm.

I wonder if anyone here can tell me which brand, by experience, generates the least heat - Samsung/WDigital/Seagate/etc etc... in normal operating conditions?

Or, doesn't the brand or model vary enough to classify which brand HDD runs cooler?

Thanks in advance...

Cheers
tropolite

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:08 am

Well, a drive that spins slower is likely to use less power and hence generate less heat. If you want the least amount of heat, find the one that draws the least amount of power. Since there isn't any huge technological differences between HDD of different makes, the one that draws the least amount of power will be the most efficient.

I might stay away from Seagate, IMO their drives have gone downhill in the last few years. WD and Samsung make very quiet drives.

tropolite

Post by tropolite » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:23 am

Thanks jhhoffma for your input...

I've read reviews on various 2.5 NB drives. Never been a fan of Seagate's so I'm with you there... never had a problem with WD. From what I understand WD are one of the few (along with Seagate) to offer 5yr warranty too.

I'll look at the power draw on these drives. I'm not big on hardware and wasn't sure if there were noticable differences in heat/brand/noise between the drives.

Appreciate your opinions...

Cheers
tropolite

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:33 am

I think WD and Samsung have standard 3 year warranties, but that may just be for 3.5" drives.