[Undervolting] cpu, chipset and vga

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sonnet

[Undervolting] cpu, chipset and vga

Post by sonnet » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:37 am

Hi I own a HP 550 15,4" notebook mounting a celeron M 530 which doesn't have speedstep technology for power savings.
I would like undervolt the cpu the chipset and gma if possible. Unfortunately the bios of all notebook I had never offered this option.
I know there's an application ad RMclock which should allow to reduce the voltage on the cpu.
Are there any other similar applications?Is possible reduce the voltage of the chipset and vga?
The vga is an integrated Intel gma x3100.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:06 am

Greetings an welcome to SPCR,

Are you sure that it is not slowing down the CPU and such? Have you tried CPUID to look at the actual speed, to see if it's changing? It would be a very unusual laptop if it didn't...

psiu

Post by psiu » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:40 am

Laptops generally have their power savings coded into the BIOS directly to keep people from tinkering with them.
That CPU does have variable voltage range, so I would guess it is adjusting that voltage on the fly.
Don't think you will be able to do any adjusting of the chipset.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:02 am

From what I could see, the Celeron M 530 does not support Speedstep and therefore is always running at full speed and full voltage. I had a Celeron M 360 in my old laptop. As far as I can tell, there's nothing you can do to reduce the power unless the motherboard supports it in the BIOS. (which most laptop's don't) I eventually swapped it for a Pentium M 725. WAY better. It blows my mind that Intel would ever produce a laptop CPU that doesn't support something as basic as this. I guess it's to push people to spend the money on the more expensive CPUs. Maybe some of the newer mobile celeron cpus do have speedstep. I haven't checked. But because of this experience I avoid them like the plague for laptops...

Now if you're talking MoDT, then that's a difference story. My celeron M 360 in an DFI 915Gm microATX motherboard works great and stay very cool. The couple watts you save with speedstep there aren't as noticeable as in a laptop. Plus I do have the option to reduce the voltage on this motherboard.

trxman

Post by trxman » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:35 am

great guide:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=235824

new CPUs may like better CPUgenie software (as written on the 263rd page of the topic :D )

InfyMcGirk

Post by InfyMcGirk » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:15 pm

My CPU is very different (C2D P9500), but I found RMclock to be really useful and now use it all the time on my laptop.

YMMV, but I added roughly an hour to my battery life without taking away any performance, by following the undervolting guide as linked previously! :)

trxman

Post by trxman » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:37 pm

for my CPU (P7350), CPUgenie works best!

it recognizes all available voltages, halfed multipliers and SuperLFM.

my states:

0.8GHz - original 0.925V - stable (orthos prime) 0.925V (SuperLFM)
1.6GHz - original 1.000V - stable (orthos prime) 0.925V
2.0GHz - original 1.250V - stable (orthos prime) 0.950V

huge difference in thermal dissipation. guess battery will like it, too.