simple methods to increase [laptop] thermal performance[?]

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

color

simple methods to increase [laptop] thermal performance[?]

Post by color » Thu May 21, 2009 12:02 pm

hello

can you tell me please what should I do to grease the fan of my laptop? would that increase thermal performance? any other advice along with placing thermal compound like Arctic Cooling?

also, any review that thermal tapes can do better than thermal paste?

thanks

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Thu May 21, 2009 10:38 pm

My general advice, not knowing the recipient, would be to not do anything.
Taking a laptop apart without access to the proper service manual is something that even I, a professional service engineer, wouldn't do unless it's absolutely necessary.

If, however, it is taken apart, then the first "fix" to improve cooling would be to simply blow the heatsinks and fan free from dust and then test to see how much it helped.

- Never apply grease to any fan! (Unless specified by the fan manufacturer.)
- Thermal "grease" (aka TIM) is to be applied between the hot item and the heatsink.
- "Thermal tape" is generally worse in performance than proper TIM.

Hope this helps.
Olle

color

Post by color » Fri May 22, 2009 12:05 am

thanks for your reply

how about replacing heatsink? the processor is T2050 Intel, but can't find a proper heatsink for this

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Fri May 22, 2009 12:12 am

Laptop heatsinks are tailored to fit each specific model. Any replacement must be to an identical one, and is therefore irrelevant.

All really efficient ways of improving the cooling laptops are external.
- Make sure there's plenty of free space around all openings.
- Run the laptop with the screen in "open" position, since the keyboard too acts like a heatsink.

Cheers
Olle

color

Post by color » Fri May 22, 2009 6:19 pm

but it is well known that heatsinks that come with processors do not compare with those that you can add afterwards

K.Murx

Post by K.Murx » Fri May 22, 2009 9:04 pm

color wrote:but it is well known that heatsinks that come with processors do not compare with those that you can add afterwards
This is true for Desktop computers.
However, due to the limited room and not standardized arrangement of components inside a laptop case, it is very very improbable that you will find anything that fits. Even if you find something that you can mount and if you can close the case afterwards it might block the airpath or have other unintended side effects.

So, in short: Don't do that.
Last edited by K.Murx on Sat May 23, 2009 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat May 23, 2009 3:10 am

Hi,

Tweaking the insides of laptops would be next to impossible. In some cases, it might be possible to do something outside the case, though. Could you see a way to construct a duct and use a quiet(er) fan to assist in the air flow through the laptop?

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Tue May 26, 2009 4:07 am

If you search the forum you should find some threads on CPU undervolting. That should help.