Del Inspiron 1564 - Core i3

More popular than ever, but some are still very noisy.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

WipeOut

Del Inspiron 1564 - Core i3

Post by WipeOut » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:58 pm

Hi,

I have just got my new Dell Inspiron 1564 with a Core i3 processor and its a very cool system for the price..

Only annoying thing is the fan cycling on and off all the time.. I have done things like turn off the transparency in the aero theme and disables windows search thinking that by having less running it would help but it doesn't..

I read that the processor settings can be changed with rmclock but it doesn't appear to work on windows 7 (x64).. Something about an unsigned driver..

I also tried the dell fan utility I8kfanGUI as well but it also didn't load properly.. Seems the latest version if from 2007..

Is there anything else I could try?

Thanks..

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:36 pm

There could be some info about work-arounds for RMClock at the RMClock forums:

http://forum.rightmark.org/?id=6&forump ... e=&author=

or in this thread at Notebookreview.com. It's a pretty decent thread, not so much for the "Guide" itself, but for all the comments afterward:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardwar ... guide.html

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:42 pm

Undervolting could help keep the CPU cooler and reduce the fan on/off cycle. But I doubt it would be able to completely stop it. RMClock was a great tool, but it's out of date. I did get it working in Win7 x64 once I think but it was a lot of work. And I didn't think it worked with the new ways the Core CPUs do their power management. Which is pretty impressive on it's own. I BIOS undervolted my Core i3 on a gigabyte MB and the idle power wouldn't budge. I was able to drop the load power a little. They're pretty impressive CPUs out of the box which is good but unfortunately means that there's little room to tweak it for lower power.

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:04 pm

there's threads out there on how to get i8kfangui working on vista/win7

Maybe those will help, if they work.