Signature Rules

Read and follow them to ensure a good experience for everyone!

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MikeC
Site Admin

Signature Rules

Post by MikeC » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:23 pm

Your text signature should fit within the following guidelines:

- Maximum 300 characters long
- No more than 4 lines
- "size=9" font preferred

[Use this:

Code: Select all

[size=9][/size]
"around" the text.]

This is to reduce the "height" of the posts so that long threads are easier to scroll through.

Please check your signature now and change it ASAP if it does no comply with the above. You have until Monday, Mar 14 to comply. After the the mods will have a field day. :twisted:
Last edited by MikeC on Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

VERiON

Post by VERiON » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:57 pm

Can't we just put it under the profile button (user description)?

I really hate signatures, mainly because google shows it in search results :(

I really like that we don't use avatars :D

If not :D - smaller font is a must. It is really disturbing to have signature font same height as post font. I thing 1/2 height of post font will be ok! You can always increase font size in your browser if you have problem with small text (I have :D). And with the smaller font 4 lines of text is too much. I'm posting on forums which have 2 lines sig restriction and it is working quite good. It is even better than font size description. If you want simply add simple sig like:

cheers
VERiON

2 lines of text (even normal size) just fit, but if you want describe your 5 computers :twisted: - you have to use small text to fit in 2 lines.

____

Another idea - An option in "profile" section allowing you to switch off sig (not only your sig - all sigs).

JanW

Post by JanW » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:38 am

VERiON wrote: And with the smaller font 4 lines of text is too much. I'm posting on forums which have 2 lines sig restriction and it is working quite good. It is even better than font size description. If you want simply add simple sig like:

cheers
VERiON
I don't think that you can compare the SPCR forums to some other forums in terms of the signature requirement. While two lines are sufficient for a "cheers", it is useful on these forums to have the possibility to give details about one's computers in the sig. Many posts will be related to the hardware the user runs. Repeating that detail in the posts is tiring, and a carefully tweaked sig with maximum information density can be just as efficient, and actually reduce noise from people having to ask back: what's your hardware? And in absence of an official policy on how to handle folding-related plugs (which are very important!), there should also be space for these in the signature. I think 4 lines is a good balance.

Hmm, all of this from me who actually did cram the necessary info in two lines. But that's just because I cheated and put my plug for folding in the location field (and that's far from ideal as I can't make that a link).

nici

Post by nici » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:41 pm

I think this is just fine. The new guidelines i mean. I have always used size 9 anyway :lol: On this forum i have never been disturbed by anyones signature, i think most use size 9 and some color anyway. I think the color just makes it more readable.

rtsai

Post by rtsai » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:41 pm

nici wrote:I think this is just fine. The new guidelines i mean. I have always used size 9 anyway :lol: On this forum i have never been disturbed by anyones signature, i think most use size 9 and some color anyway. I think the color just makes it more readable.
I actually dislike how everyone puts their systems in their signatures; it makes searching the forums for a particular bit of hardware that much more difficult.

Is there a way to put those system-spec signatures in the user profile area on the left (or otherwise prevent them from being picked up by forum searches)?

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:46 pm

The search engine of the phpBB forum only searches inside the posts, not in the signatures. Not even in the titles :(

nici

Post by nici » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:48 pm

It would be tight to get the system spec in the "Location" field.. But if the search really doesnt include sigs thats a good thing.

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:10 pm

Posts & signatures are independent (unlike a few other boards eg WWWThreads) so the signature could be newer than the original post that referenced it - e.g. 'Look at my completely fanless setup' poster's signature shows dual core P4 & SLI.

It's easily (but inconveniently) fixed by putting the signature in the post. It's the only drawback but not a big one IMO.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:38 am

I didn't count it but I think I'm around 150 characters in mine. Did the font = 9 thing last time I changed it.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:03 pm

phoenixlipo wrote:I actually dislike how everyone puts their systems in their signatures; it makes searching the forums for a particular bit of hardware that much more difficult.
:?:
Text in signatures are excluded when you search the forum.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:50 pm

New years bump, for the new members. ;)

WARDOZER9

Post by WARDOZER9 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:05 am

4 lines as viewed in what resolution? 4 lines in 1920x1200 is a bit different than 4 lines in 800x600

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:54 am

Since it was originally written in march 2005, probably closer to 800x600. :D

You could also use a mico font like some member's use..

Lyonall

Re: Signature Rules

Post by Lyonall » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:34 am

I've just made my signature. The "size=9" BB-code doesn't seem to work any longer however.
For "small" font I had to take "size=85" instead.

Kind Regards,

Lyonall

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:34 am

[quote="Lyonall"]I've just made my signature. The "size=9" BB-code doesn't seem to work any longer however.
For "small" font I had to take "size=85" instead.

Kind Regards,

Lyonall[/quote]

I'm not sure what mine was set to before but the upgrade automatically changed mine to size=75. Looking at my profile and trying to preview the signature it doesn't seem to work nor do I see it in this post.

andresavage

Post by andresavage » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:43 pm

Got it. Thank you