It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: WD10EZEX, Western Digital Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:39 am 
*Lifetime Patron*

I received a WDC WD10EZEX-21WN4A0 by mistake, so I thought to make the most of it and post a brief review.

Pros:
- It works. :roll:

Cons:
- Constant resonance, running hum. :evil:
- Faint head chatter, like an old Maxtor or Seagate Barracuda (new NAS 'cudas have aggressive heads, too).
- Easily confused with a low-RPM Blue due to identical looks.

I would not recommend this drive. Even as a single-platter version, it is not particularly quiet, with the resonating hum being the worst culprit. My case is heavy, insulated, grommeted and suspended under a heavy desk, yet the drive can still make the structure resonate.

The whole story
I ordered a WD10EZRZ to replace an old WD10EARS Green that was on its way out, having a power-on time approaching five years with close to 4,000 power cycles. Both BIOS and Windows threw up warnings before critical failure. A very good drive that I will remember fondly for both reliable service and silent operation.

Instead of receiving the rebranded Blue-Green EZRZ that I had ordered, I received the EZEX. I installed it by mistake, as one Blue 1 TB drive looks much like another from the outside.

I did notice a louder operating noise immediately, but thought it might be just how the rebranded Blue-Greens are, or my ears being too sensitive to the change. There is a constant hum and resonance from the drive, and I can hear faint chattering from the heads any time they operate, both of which were absent in the previous Green. It was most nostalgic, a throwback to the bad old days of Barracudas and Maxtors' equivalent.

Only after starting to troubleshoot the noise today did I spot in the hardware details that I had been sent the wrong drive. The resonance made sense immediately - 7200 RPM. I returned the drive without a second thought.

I will post a review of the EZRZ once I get it.

Extras: Eaton UPS, Dell 24" EIPS, MS Sculpt, Logitech G303, Synology DS213j 3+3 TB NAS

Post subject: Re: WD10EZEX, Western Digital Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:22 am 

Thanks.

1080p Gaming build: i5-4670K, Mugen 4, Asrock Z97 Anniversary, MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming, 8GB 1866 RAM, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, WD Red 2TB, Samsung DVD burner, Fractal Define R4, Antec True Quiet 140 (2 front + rear) case fans, Seasonic SSR-550FX. 35W idle, 45-55W video streaming, 170-200W WoW, 318W stress test (Prime95 + Furmark)

Support SPCR through these links: Amazon and Newegg