my gigabyte ultradurable p35-dsr3 has a boot cycle problem

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

my gigabyte ultradurable p35-dsr3 has a boot cycle problem

Post by dan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:24 am

before i toss my my gigabyte ultradurable p35-dsr3 has a boot cycle problem in the trash, and buy a new motherboard (ASUS?) core2 duo

i'm wondering if any gigabyte owners has this problem with a solution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9nii6Ek-3k

led lights flash, fans whir for a second, then both led lights and fans turn off, and then cycles. no screen. no boot. :(

i tried reseating memory connectors video cards, changing memory changing slots they are in, changing cpu, clearing cmos, taking out battery, replacing battery, even connecting pins 1 and 6 on the m-bios, changing video cards, using a different PSU

:( i've contacted gigabyte they said its out of warranty. no further replies, such as how much it would cost to repair it.

i am typing this on my toshiba laptop, also core2 duo

not happy with gigabyte i'm thinking asus for my next build. i would prefer though to wait for amd zen 2 with spectre-meltdown fixed, and 7nm ddr5 and continue using my laptop

Abula

Re: my gigabyte ultradurable p35-dsr3 has a boot cycle probl

Post by Abula » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:00 am

dan wrote:not happy with gigabyte i'm thinking asus for my next build. i would prefer though to wait for amd zen 2 with spectre-meltdown fixed, and 7nm ddr5 and continue using my laptop
AMD Zen2 will be released this year, and looks more like a refresh of Ryzen, probably better overclocking and higher base clocks, but i doubt there will be DDR5 for that chipset, DDR5 specs will hit 2018, but i expect 2020 to hit chipsets and cpus, its not that fast the adoptions.

dan

Post by dan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:14 am

Abula wrote: AMD Zen2 will be released this year, and looks more like a refresh of Ryzen, probably better overclocking and higher base clocks, but i doubt there will be DDR5 for that chipset, DDR5 specs will hit 2018, but i expect 2020 to hit chipsets and cpus, its not that fast the adoptions.
my c2duo from 2006 is still holding on so far. as long as it works i can wait, postpone
im typing on it as i write this post rn

i prefer 7nm for power reduction on an apu. i'm a fan of spcr after all

just a couple weeks ago the caps on my msi 975x blew.

i still have ddr and ddr2.

i'm undecided, it would cost $70 for a "new" socket 775 c2duo motherboard, asus ebay

or should i save $70 for a new ryzen build

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:41 am

Its up to you, but investing $70 on an old platform to me its not a good investment, that said anything spent into PCs is also bad, regardless if its new or old.

Now you seem to get by fine with a dual core, specially an old dual core, so you should be more than fine with a pentium/celeron or AMD APU that should hit Q1, given that you will invest in other things like memory and motherboard, i would think its a better investment of the $70 on that, the worst thing is the pricing of the memory today.

dan

Post by dan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:14 pm

Abula wrote:Its up to you, but investing $70 on an old platform to me its not a good investment, that said anything spent into PCs is also bad, regardless if its new or old.

Now you seem to get by fine with a dual core, specially an old dual core, so you should be more than fine with a pentium/celeron or AMD APU that should hit Q1, given that you will invest in other things like memory and motherboard, i would think its a better investment of the $70 on that, the worst thing is the pricing of the memory today.
hi,

why do you think anything spent into PCs is also bad, regardless if its new or old.

if i decide to spend $70, i also have my old core2duo, ddr2 2gb, video cards, case power supply keyboard
original scythe ninja hard drive etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-P5K-Socke ... SwFnFV9anq

the only reason i've not yet purchased it is that there are videos and posts on
gigabyte ultradurable p35-dsr3 boot cycle problem which if i can figure out how to overcome, i can use that.

if i buy the amd apu core i5, i'd have to buy new ddr4 memory and new cpu and motherboard at the least, possibly a ssd, and probably a new aftermarket cooler

i prefer windows 7 over 10 spyware

are you thinking laptops or smartphones are better spent money?

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:56 pm

dan wrote:why do you think anything spent into PCs is also bad, regardless if its new or old.
Well unless you earn money with it, the hardware pricing devalue over time. But again if you don't need much cpu power and you don't plan on having any need short term, then go ahead and buy the old mobo.
dan wrote:i prefer windows 7 over 10 spyware
If it can do what you want, then go with it. That said, windows 7 will gradually lose support, and new software will support it for so long, after that you will need to move on, i still have a couple of PC with windows 7, my mom dont want to change OS and relearn it, and camara server that i want to avoid the automatic rebooting, but i learned that with the win10 pro you can manage that with the company policies.
dan wrote:are you thinking laptops or smartphones are better spent money?
Smartphones is worst of all, they are change much faster and hardware upgrades do matter on new apps and so on, laptops really depends, the increases on performance on desktops cpu power is low, on laptops is even more limited, that said intel has made a ton of improvements on consumption and tdps over the last 10 years, but the performance not so much.

dan

Post by dan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:42 pm

abula

when i say value, as long as it lets me connect to internet, brows web, type word processors play videos, it has value to me, even if it doesn't make money :oops:

same with pets. :D

but yeah if it worked i wouldn't need to buy.

i suspect the problem is that the pins is bent, and fixing bent pins on a intel socket is almost impossible and yes i saw the vids on youtube but no i can't seem to do it.