ASUS A8V-E Deluxe vs. DFI nF4-DAGF

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dnewhous

ASUS A8V-E Deluxe vs. DFI nF4-DAGF

Post by dnewhous » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:23 pm

These are my finalists. Note that this is the one 939 pin DFI board that is NOT a LANPARTY board. Essentially, I want 939 pin without SLI. The most obvious difference between these 2 boards is the VIA K8T890 chipset vs. the Nforce4 chipset.

I am not interested at all in overclocking. I am totally interested in stability, especially good drivers and good firmware. However, all other things being equal, if DFI is more stable overclocked I will take it to mean it is a better made board.

Fire away, please.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:48 pm

I have an Asus A8N-E and am very happy with it. Seems very stable, but I don't over-clock (although many people do over-clock Asus boards and the instructions look easy). Cool and Quiet works very well. Plenty of room to replace the NF4 active HSF with a passive Zalman, at least with my 6600GT with Zalman VF700 (see pic in NF4 Chipset Replacement thread). Highly recommended.

ilh

Post by ilh » Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:43 am

How is this DFI better for you than an Ultra-D? Is it less expensive? I don't know much about it.

Although the Ultra-D has two 16x VGA slots, don't think that implies SLI. Think of it as giving you flexibility in where you place your VGA, allowing for more cooling options of your nF4 chip. Unless the DAGF is a lot less expensive, I guess I don't see the point.

SpHeRe31459

Post by SpHeRe31459 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:15 am

ilh wrote:How is this DFI better for you than an Ultra-D? Is it less expensive? I don't know much about it.

Although the Ultra-D has two 16x VGA slots, don't think that implies SLI. Think of it as giving you flexibility in where you place your VGA, allowing for more cooling options of your nF4 chip. Unless the DAGF is a lot less expensive, I guess I don't see the point.
The LanParty boards only have 2 PCI "classic" slots where as the DAGF has 3. This is important should you have a sound card, a modem, and still want something open for the future, since there are essentially zero PCIe x1 peripherals around.