GA-K8NF-9 NB_FAN

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Hentai

GA-K8NF-9 NB_FAN

Post by Hentai » Sat May 14, 2005 12:31 am

I was wondering what is the deal with North-Bridge chipset cooling fan, only 2-pin connector can be inserted into it (NB_FAN-page 20 of the MB manual)), but I don't have such cable either from the motherboard or the power suply. The only thing that has 2-pin connector is the case component(that little black thingy next to power suply slot) with black-red wire. Is this supposed to be connected with it?

And more important of all, what happens if the NB_FAN is not connected or not connected properly?

Hentai

Post by Hentai » Sun May 15, 2005 4:47 am

Perhaps someone could write a link or other message board where I can find this kind of information?

GrahamGarside

Post by GrahamGarside » Sun May 15, 2005 5:58 am

I'm a little lost. You're talking about the header on the motherboard labled NB_FAN? this is where the fan on the chipset should be attached, which should be a 2pin connector. Have you removed the fan or does your board have a passive chipset cooler?

mahkum2

Post by mahkum2 » Sun May 15, 2005 6:02 am

Hentai -- Is your board passively cooled? If yes then you don't need to bother with the north bridge fan connector. I think Gigabyte left the fan connector on the motherboard so that overclockers could use it to install a fan if they needed it.

Hentai

Post by Hentai » Sun May 15, 2005 4:45 pm

alglove

Post by alglove » Sun May 15, 2005 6:25 pm

So yours look like the one on this page?
(click on the picture to enlarge it)

http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Pr ... K8NF-9.htm

If so, you are fine. The NB_FAN header is there just because it is easier to leave it there, as opposed to redesigning and remanufacturing the motherboard just because the decided to put a passive cooler on it.

Hentai

Post by Hentai » Mon May 16, 2005 1:34 am

It looks just like on this picture
http://www.gamepc.com/images/labs/rev-g ... raidLG.jpg
except there is no plate on top with gigabyte logo which is pretty odd if you ask me. I thought that all MB(and products in general) are the same if they are called the same.

mrochester

Post by mrochester » Mon May 16, 2005 5:39 am

The picture you have posted there is of a northbridge heatsink with a fan. Does yours have a fan or not? If it's got a fan, it should be plugged into the header labelled NB_Fan. If not, you don't need to do anything.

alglove

Post by alglove » Mon May 16, 2005 11:59 am

Hentai wrote:I thought that all MB(and products in general) are the same if they are called the same.
Not necessarily. Motherboards can go through manufacturing revisions such as his one. A change that is very minor (such as this one) is often not enough to warrant a name or revision change. Other changes, like an upgraded motherboard component or minor change in layout, may warrant a PCB revision number change, but that is it.

If that is how you received your brand new motherboard when you purchased it, that is probably what Gigabyte intended.

On a side note, some of the Chaintech NForce4 motherboards that originally came with a passive cooler later had a fan put on them. No name change there, either.

Hentai

Post by Hentai » Tue May 17, 2005 7:33 am

Ok then, it doesn't have fan like on the picture, but they shoud have made some note on that in the manual, they caused me to worry for no reason.

alglove

Post by alglove » Tue May 17, 2005 7:57 am

Yeah, you're right. Or at least a little one page appendix that says, "By the way, your motherboard comes with a passive heatsink."