Lowest power/coolest Socket A processor?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

matt_garman
*Lifetime Patron*

Lowest power/coolest Socket A processor?

Post by matt_garman » Mon May 23, 2005 6:25 pm

Prior to the introduction of the Sempron for Socket A, it looked like the Mobile Athlon was the lowest power (and coolest running) processor for Socket A.

So my question is, what is the coolest-running Socket A processor?

Actually, how do the late generation Durons compare to Mobile Athlon and Semprons?

Basically, I built an HTPC using a Duron 750. It does what I need, but the system is a bit sluggish for navigation. Also, I run Gentoo, so compiling big packages is awful slow.

Thanks!
Matt

mb2

Post by mb2 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:33 am

dont think the soA semp has improved anything.. still the XP-M is your best bet for low heat/performance.

late gen durons (1400-1800) are pretty good, but not as good as an XP-M. they are pretty similar to 1.5v 1700/1800+'s without the cache. either of those 5 would be a good low-cost second to the XP-M.

remember u can undervolt / underclock if they are too hot, but that applies to the XP-M too so it still wins.

metalac

Post by metalac » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:21 pm

well i have an 2400+ mobile, which runs on 1.35V and puts out 35W per AMDs docs. I'm thinking of making an HTPC out of it and underclocking it a bit, which would make it even better.