MSI 915 Pentium M With S478 Retention Bracket

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pipperoni

MSI 915 Pentium M With S478 Retention Bracket

Post by pipperoni » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:49 am

Hardwarezone Computex Coverage

Scroll down to the second last image. I just wish these browsers would take a picture of the accompanying sign so we'd know some features.

sgtpokey
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sgtpokey » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:48 pm

Since no one's replied yet... thanks for the info!!

It's interesting that they placed the cpu socket nearer to the "back" of the motherboard, a la the BTX standard.

pipperoni

Post by pipperoni » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:54 am

I wondered about the CPU placement when AOPEN came out with their mATX 915M board aswell. I wonder if this is just practice for BTX for the motherboard designers or if these boards are made to be easily flipped into a BTX board. It would be really interesting to see a BTX P-M board, but all of 8 people would buy it today....

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:59 am

pipperoni wrote:It would be really interesting to see a BTX P-M board, but all of 8 people would buy it today....
I'd bet that it'd sell pretty good. Have you seen some of those "pico" (or whatever TF it's called) BTX cases that have been floating around for the past year. Some are very "MAC-Mini-ish", and others look like they'd make nice HTPCs, especially with the quiet cooling available with the P-Ms.

mb2

Post by mb2 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:08 am

pico-btx is the right term i believe, (smaller than micro-BTX)

the prob with BTX from what i can tell is that it has a fan in the middle at the front, which is probably pretty good as far as cooling goes, but awful as far as asthetics are concerned, having a great big hole in the (middle of the) front of the case.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:05 pm

mb2 wrote:pico-btx is the right term i believe, (smaller than micro-BTX)

the prob with BTX from what i can tell is that it has a fan in the middle at the front, which is probably pretty good as far as cooling goes, but awful as far as asthetics are concerned, having a great big hole in the (middle of the) front of the case.
I'm aware of the airflow scheme of BTX cases, but properly designed Pentium M Systems can get away with very, very little airflow. That would mean you could use a very quiet fan at the front of the case.

pipperoni

Post by pipperoni » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:37 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:
mb2 wrote:pico-btx is the right term i believe, (smaller than micro-BTX)

I'm aware of the airflow scheme of BTX cases, but properly designed Pentium M Systems can get away with very, very little airflow. That would mean you could use a very quiet fan at the front of the case.
I think the real concern is having a pock marked BTX system. I thought Shuttle's SB86 BTX hybrid looked alright for front intake.

shigaloo

Post by shigaloo » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:45 pm

hopefully this board has decent voltage and overclocking options (pci-e lock, etc) and the "low-cost" is not just relative to server boards.

looks like a contender for the next htpc build