Which Intel motherboard?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

martinweiss

Which Intel motherboard?

Post by martinweiss » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:02 am

I have read the "DH77DF vs DH77EB - power consumption" thread (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64635). I am looking to build a system that will be on 24/7, handling backups, media, and storage in general.

I have two requirements: Low power consumption, and Displayport (or dual-link DVI or Thunderbolt, something that will drive my U2711 monitor).

The DH77DF and DH77EB boards look nice. I am leaning towards the EB because it has an extra SATA port. However, when I looked at Intel's website, it seems there are a couple of other options as well: DZ77BH-55K (ATX) and DQ77MK (micro ATX).

What's the difference between DH77EB and DQ77MK? Which will result in the lowers power consumption?

HFat

Re: Which Intel motherboard?

Post by HFat » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:58 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if no one knows... so here are my guesses: I suspect they'll both consume more power than the H77s. I suspect the Z77 consumes more.
Features burn power.

particleman

Re: Which Intel motherboard?

Post by particleman » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:05 pm

Intel's DQ77 boards are targetted more towards business workstations. You will notice it has an extra lan port; the red lan port's primary is supposed to be for Intel's Active Management KVM (though you can use it as a regular network port too). The DQ77 also supports ECC and Sandy/Ivy Bridge Xeons.