When is 2nd batch of Haswell CPU's arriving?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tbessie

When is 2nd batch of Haswell CPU's arriving?

Post by tbessie » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Hi all...

I had read some time ago that Intel had planned to do a tiered release of Haswell chips - the 1st one they did earlier this year, and I had heard of a 2nd one (with a subsequent price-lowering on existing chips) around now, supposedly.

Does anyone know where I can read up on what the supposed plans are for this 2nd release? Has it already happened? My Google searching skills have failed me in finding info on this. :-)

- Tim

Abula

Re: When is 2nd batch of Haswell CPU's arriving?

Post by Abula » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:33 pm

tbessie wrote:Hi all...

I had read some time ago that Intel had planned to do a tiered release of Haswell chips - the 1st one they did earlier this year, and I had heard of a 2nd one (with a subsequent price-lowering on existing chips) around now, supposedly.

Does anyone know where I can read up on what the supposed plans are for this 2nd release? Has it already happened? My Google searching skills have failed me in finding info on this. :-)

- Tim
The only thing directly to a new batch was the i7 4771 that was mostly because the 4770 and 4770K had different 100mhz difference, so intel was releasing this sku to have a similar CPU to the top of their line, just without overclocking.

Now new releases have happened, as they usually Intel only release their Quads on launch, dual cores i3/Pentiums were released on September, and we should see dual an single core Celerons on early 2014.

Now a replacement for the 4770K i never read that it was on the works on haswell, like new iteration still on the same 22nm, but who knows.... intel likes to release new refreshes on laptops with 100mhz speed bumps. Or like they did with the 2600K and 2700K, didnt happen with the 3770K though, i doubt it will happen with haswell, broadwell is getting closer, which will be haswell on 14nm?? i dont remember, so if you can wait 6-7 months we will see replacements all across the board.

tbessie

Post by tbessie » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:24 am

Thanks for the info, Abula! I had thought they were coming out with another "extreme" group of chips and lowering the cost of existing chips; at least, that's what I heard was going to happen.

Don't really want to wait 'till Broadwell, though it would be nice to have one - always nice to have the latest.

I had also heard that Broadwell was being pushed out further do to technical difficulties.

- Tim

tbessie

Post by tbessie » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:18 am

There was also the rumor that Broadwell would see the start of motherboards without replaceable CPUs, but then I heard that Intel retracted that. Did you hear anything about that?

- Tim

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:29 am

tbessie wrote:There was also the rumor that Broadwell would see the start of motherboards without replaceable CPUs, but then I heard that Intel retracted that. Did you hear anything about that?

- Tim
Yes some broadwell will be BGA not LGA like we have atm, its still unclear what models will be, my guess is maybe some lower end celerons/pentiums might, but i doubt i3 to i7 will, given that the performance increases are so low between gens, that this would probably make most still remain with their old setups, there are still lot of people on LGA1366 and a lot that stayed on Sandy Bridge 1156, that might move on broadwell/skylake, but i feel if BGA is implemented all across, this would steer this users toward waiting even more or looking into AMD or even higher end LGA2011.

tbessie

Post by tbessie » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:22 pm

Abula wrote:
tbessie wrote:There was also the rumor that Broadwell would see the start of motherboards without replaceable CPUs, but then I heard that Intel retracted that. Did you hear anything about that?

- Tim
Yes some broadwell will be BGA not LGA like we have atm, its still unclear what models will be, my guess is maybe some lower end celerons/pentiums might, but i doubt i3 to i7 will, given that the performance increases are so low between gens, that this would probably make most still remain with their old setups, there are still lot of people on LGA1366 and a lot that stayed on Sandy Bridge 1156, that might move on broadwell/skylake, but i feel if BGA is implemented all across, this would steer this users toward waiting even more or looking into AMD or even higher end LGA2011.
Well I *do* hope that all the manufacturers keep making replaceable CPUs for the enthusiast market. I wonder how important the enthusiast and gamer markets are to the semiconductor industry.

- Tim

tbessie

Post by tbessie » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:35 pm

PS I found one of the articles that mentions the Haswell "refresh" I mentioned:

http://www.dailytech.com/Report+Intel+D ... e31770.htm

- Tim

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:27 pm

tbessie wrote:PS I found one of the articles that mentions the Haswell "refresh" I mentioned:

http://www.dailytech.com/Report+Intel+D ... e31770.htm

- Tim
Interesting article, specially the haswell E, given that the consoles now are supporting mulitple cores, seems interesting to see the first 8 core CPU on haswell E, probably will be the extreme editions $1k CPU, but will see might be interesting depending into how console ports evolve to PC.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:55 am

New info (from Techpowerup):
At GDC, Intel announced a backpedal from its plans to eventually reshape desktop CPUs into components that come hardwired to the motherboards across the line, by announcing three new CPU families. It includes the Haswell-E HEDT platform, Broadwell performance platform, and Devil's Canyon. The three are expected to launch in reverse order, beginning with Devil's Canyon. A variant of existing "Haswell" silicon in the LGA1150 package, Devil's Canyon is codename for a breed of hand-picked chips with "insane" overclocking potential. In addition to binned dies, the chips feature a performance-optimized TIM between the die and the integrated heatspreader (IHS). The dies will be placed on special "high tolerance" packages, with equally "special" LGA contact points. The chips will be designed with higher voltage tolerance levels. Devil's Canyon is expected to branded under the existing Core i7-4xxx series, possibly with "Extreme" brand extension. It will be compatible with motherboards based on the Z97 chipset.

Edit: more comprehensive article at Guru3D: http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/intel_ ... d_tim.html

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:55 am

Intel to launch its Haswell refresh products May 10th 2014:
http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/intel_ ... _2014.html
However, these do not appear to include the Devil's Canyon version(s), which may be launched in June.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat May 17, 2014 11:53 am

Devil's Canyon is expected June 2 (Computex).

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:32 am

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 am

Tzupy wrote:...It (Devil's Canyon) will be compatible with motherboards based on the Z97 chipset...
This was Intel's original plan but most (all?) of the Z87 board makers have released BIOS updates which enable Devil's Canyon support e.g. BIOS 2003 on the Asus Z87 range.