Planning on i7-4790K and GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-GAMING 7

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rodeeze

Planning on i7-4790K and GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-GAMING 7

Post by rodeeze » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:18 pm

Hello,

Earlier I posted in the PSU section about my purchases I made before SPCR but now that I have found you lovely people, I want to pick your brains. Unfortunately, it's hard for me to grasp everything due to a medical condition, but I am trying my best.

I read a bit and it seems that for gaming the i5 would be better but I'm too not going to only use it for that. I would like try and guess what I would be doing with my system to see if you can help me decided.

Streaming, gaming, podcast, editing ( render ), I also want to be able to have 10 tabs open while you tube and all of that. This is all I can think of really, screen capture with out lag can be added to my list.

As far as Motherboard, it seems that fan control is a big issues that I didn't think of, I assumed I would just invest in some k ind of quiet fans and that would be the end of it. Not that easy, and airflow seems to be super important too!

I will have Define R5 with EVGA G2 750 PSU, but does that blow air up? or is it sucking air out? Anyhow, these are my 2 pieces that I will have so maybe you can help guide me a bit better.

Any thoughts on the Gaming 7 or a better mobo? which would utilize for what I want?

Thank you in advance!

Abula

Re: Planning on i7-4790K and GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-GAMING 7

Post by Abula » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:33 pm

rodeeze wrote:I will have Define R5 with EVGA G2 750 PSU, but does that blow air up? or is it sucking air out? Anyhow, these are my 2 pieces that I will have so maybe you can help guide me a bit better.
It should suck air where the fan is and blow it in the back of the psu. On the R5 i would place it with the fan facing the bottom of the case, it should have its own opening to get fresh air.
rodeeze wrote:Any thoughts on the Gaming 7 or a better mobo? which would utilize for what I want?
Im not a big fan of Gigabyte, but they do fine motherboards, if you like the brand go for it, im sure is a fine motherboard. I personally would suggest MSI or Asus.
ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
MSI Z97-Gaming 7 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

In case you are not overclocking look into the following and save some $$$$,
MSI H97 GAMING 3 LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
ASUS H97-PLUS LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

rodeeze

Post by rodeeze » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:41 pm

Abula wrote: It should suck air where the fan is and blow it in the back of the psu. On the R5 i would place it with the fan facing the bottom of the case, it should have its own opening to get fresh air.
Perfect, thank you for that, I didn't know to do that!
Abula wrote: Im not a big fan of Gigabyte, but they do fine motherboards, if you like the brand go for it, im sure is a fine motherboard. I personally would suggest MSI or Asus.
Can you tell me why MSI or Asus? When looking on Amazon and Newegg for reviews, I have read a lot of bad things in general. I want to be able to overclock just in case I need too. Any thoughts on the processors? Thanks for your time! :)

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:53 pm

rodeeze wrote:Can you tell me why MSI or Asus? When looking on Amazon and Newegg for reviews, I have read a lot of bad things in general. I want to be able to overclock just in case I need too.
Both have good fan control,

Asus - has fanXpert2 that its an utility that comes with AI Suite III (software design for asus motherboards), it should test your fans and establish the min max of them, and pre set them to ramp up according to temperature.

MSI - this i like more because i don't like too much relaying on software, i find their bios fan control to be very good, and this is how i control my fans atm.

Personally i only overlclock for benchmarks, then i go back to stock, i guess im just old and todays CPUs can handle almost everything, there are gains in rendering or editing.... but if i were heavy into those i wouldn't be on a quad either way, i do some light editing and rendering, but for me its fine as it is. Both brands should overclock fine, gigabyte aswell, but as you overclock or overvolt, you will start getting higher temps requiering more rpms on the fans to sustain temperatures, and depending on the overclock... will make more noise, so for me goes against to what im trying to achieve.

rodeeze wrote:Any thoughts on the processors?
An i5 4690K is one of the best value for the money cpus atm, it will overclock and runs almost anything out there. Cross check if the apps you will run benefit from hyperthreading as the other option is a 4790K, but its $100 extra and if you wont use the hyperthreading its a waste.

rodeeze

Post by rodeeze » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:52 pm

Abula wrote:
Asus - has fanXpert2 that its an utility that comes with AI Suite III (software design for asus motherboards), it should test your fans and establish the min max of them, and pre set them to ramp up according to temperature.

MSI - this i like more because i don't like too much relaying on software, i find their bios fan control to be very good, and this is how i control my fans atm.
I just checked out the Hero VII by Asus and I looked at the compatibilty, it was crap. The memory wasn't listed like ADATA and I didn't see anything for 2400. Also, they didn't have my Power supply listed. It didn't even have Sata Express and the $150 board did. There are some things that I like but this is going into a closed case and I just performance. The lack of compatibility was a turnoff.
Abula wrote:An i5 4690K is one of the best value for the money cpus atm, it will overclock and runs almost anything out there. Cross check if the apps you will run benefit from hyperthreading as the other option is a 4790K, but its $100 extra and if you wont use the hyperthreading its a waste.
It seems that streaming and some rendering will use HT so I will stick with the i7. Now that's out of the way, the mobo problem still haunts me. Either pay $300 for everything, or be torn with $150. Still on the hunt for the mobo...

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:28 pm

If, by "2400" you mean DDR3-2400, don't bother. There is very little benefit beyond 1866 with Intel processors.

rodeeze

Post by rodeeze » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:45 pm

Oh really? I don't understand, if it's working faster, where is the bottle neck?

2 thoughts...

1) Ram will be cheaper, this is a good thing
2) I might be able to get t he low profile ram because I wanted to u se the Noctua's UH-D15 for the cpu cooler....thoughts?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:36 am

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memo ... on-haswell

Bottleneck is the right word. A PC is a sum of it's parts and while there is an enhancement range for any specific component, outside that range yields little benefit.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:28 am

rodeeze wrote:I might be able to get t he low profile ram because I wanted to u se the Noctua's UH-D15 for the cpu cooler....thoughts?
Keep in mind that NH-D15 is one the coolers that will overlap witht he first PCIe slot, in most cases it wont matter as the vast mayority of haswell atx motherboards have a 1x PCIe on the first physical slot, this changes on Haswell E where in most cases is the first 16X slot. Again only matters if you are planning on using the first PCIe slot.
rodeeze wrote:I just checked out the Hero VII by Asus and I looked at the compatibilty, it was crap. The memory wasn't listed like ADATA and I didn't see anything for 2400. Also, they didn't have my Power supply listed. It didn't even have Sata Express and the $150 board did. There are some things that I like but this is going into a closed case and I just performance. The lack of compatibility was a turnoff.
Keep in mind that not being on an approve list doesnt mean it wont be compatible, there is very few hardware that its tested by manufacturers, its recommended to stick with it so you are guarantee compatibility or dealing with a return item, that said, none of my memory kits that i have used on the past 6 bulids have been on QVL lists or my PSU on pre approved lists, its just a guide not a must.

rodeeze

Post by rodeeze » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:50 pm

I am now considering the MSI Gaming 7 upon your recommendation for motherboard.
Abula wrote: Keep in mind that NH-D15 is one the coolers that will overlap witht he first PCIe slot, in most cases it wont matter as the vast mayority of haswell atx motherboards have a 1x PCIe on the first physical slot, this changes on Haswell E where in most cases is the first 16X slot. Again only matters if you are planning on using the first PCIe slot.
Yes, I checked the compatibility and it seems that there is a 1x PCIe before the PCIe x16 so It would fit. I'm not convinced a water cooled solution is best. I guess it just depends. I don't know what I would ever need in the future that would take up the x1 slot. Can you forecast?
Abula wrote:Keep in mind that not being on an approve list doesnt mean it wont be compatible, there is very few hardware that its tested by manufacturers, its recommended to stick with it so you are guarantee compatibility or dealing with a return item, that said, none of my memory kits that i have used on the past 6 bulids have been on QVL lists or my PSU on pre approved lists, its just a guide not a must.
Ahh, good to know!! I wanted some low profile ram or atleast normal size due to the NH-D15

rodeeze

Post by rodeeze » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:33 pm

I can get 2400mhz ram for the same price as 1866 ( about 10$ more) for 16gb

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/hx324c11t3k2_16.pdf

Also, all ram about 1866mhz gets bigger in size so it won't fit the NH-D15, do you know If I can rearrange the fans?

:D

Thank you!