RAM reduction

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nintendoeats

RAM reduction

Post by nintendoeats » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:17 am

I have this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 1423802699
My mobo is this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 1423802699

I didn't really know much about RAM when I bought it, except that it makes no performance difference in normal situations. I therefore bought it on the basis that it was cheap, comes form a reputable brand and looks cool. However, I just read this: http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articl ... e-RAM-150/. As you can see, the red edition is pointless high voltage RAM. I know I can't force it to run at 1.35v, but is it possible to force a lower speed and 1.5v? I'm fine over and under clocking and volting with CPUs and GPUs, but RAM is a bit more complex and I'm still not comfortable blindly fiddling with it.

Danke

quest_for_silence

Re: RAM reduction

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:06 am

nintendoeats wrote:I know I can't force it to run at 1.35v, but is it possible to force a lower speed and 1.5v? I'm fine over and under clocking and volting with CPUs and GPUs, but RAM is a bit more complex and I'm still not comfortable blindly fiddling with it.

Overvolting/overclocking, as well as undervolting/underclocking, work the same way for CPU, GPU AND RAM.
Set the new values (if your BIOS allow to do so, and usually it does), then fire up a stability testing: if all work well, you're done, otherwise, raise the voltage.

By the way, as far as I know there are very high chance that your RAM (all in all a common 1600Mhz CL9 specimen) may run at 1.5V without issues, and more probably that not you should also be able to run it @ 1333Mhz/1.35V without hiccups. For other options, your mileage may vary.

Whether you don't know how to vary the FSB/RAM ratio, you should post more info about your combo, and possibly some screenshots (even taken with a camera) of the overclocking section of your BIOS.

nintendoeats

Re: RAM reduction

Post by nintendoeats » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:50 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
nintendoeats wrote:I know I can't force it to run at 1.35v, but is it possible to force a lower speed and 1.5v? I'm fine over and under clocking and volting with CPUs and GPUs, but RAM is a bit more complex and I'm still not comfortable blindly fiddling with it.

Overvolting/overclocking, as well as undervolting/underclocking, work the same way for CPU, GPU AND RAM.
Set the new values (if your BIOS allow to do so, and usually it does), then fire up a stability testing: if all work well, you're done, otherwise, raise the voltage.

By the way, as far as I know there are very high chance that your RAM (all in all a common 1600Mhz CL9 specimen) may run at 1.5V without issues, and more probably that not you should also be able to run it @ 1333Mhz/1.35V without hiccups. For other options, your mileage may vary. .
Thanks, that's pretty much what I needed to hear. I presume the setting I'm looking at is DRAM Voltage. I dropped that to 1.5 and it appears to be stable. When I have some free time I'll experiment with getting it down further.