Looking for old PC800 RAMBUS motherboard for XEON CPU

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Smile

Looking for old PC800 RAMBUS motherboard for XEON CPU

Post by Smile » Mon May 18, 2015 1:00 pm

Hello, perhaps somebody with good knowledge in old server boards will help me with say ASUS etc. server class MB that would have RAMBUS PC800 memory capacity up to 4GB (8 modules total).

Would support 2x CPUS.

Don't ask why I need this old stuff :) All I can say RAMBUS is miles ahead of DDR RAM, even now.
So if anyone can help me thank you.

edh

Re: Looking for old PC800 RAMBUS motherboard for XEON CPU

Post by edh » Tue May 19, 2015 3:39 am

Sorry, I have to disagree here. RAMBUS failed to take off for many good reasons and is very obsolete. Modern RAM is far better than RAMBUS. Also to get CPUs that work with RAMBUS you will have to have something very old and inefficient. This makes absolutely no sense at all.

washu

Re: Looking for old PC800 RAMBUS motherboard for XEON CPU

Post by washu » Tue May 19, 2015 4:53 am

Got to go with edh on this one as well. I worked with servers using RAMBUS and then DDR back when they were new. DDR is miles ahead better. RAMBUS may have won a few benchmarks, but real-world it was worse. The first proper DDR Xeon chipset matched the high bandwidth of RAMBUS without the latency penalty. Once that came out RAMBUS was pointless.

RAMBUS has high bandwidth and high latency. It looks good on memory bandwidth benchmarks, but it sucks in the real world outside of specific use cases. By the time a CPU is accessing RAM it has already done at least two cache misses. You don't want it to wait any longer than it has to.