ASRock N3150 DC - some questions for a quiet nas build

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dreamalittle

ASRock N3150 DC - some questions for a quiet nas build

Post by dreamalittle » Tue May 03, 2016 5:56 am

The ASRock N3150 DC version looks really nice for a budget NAS build.

I want to use one of these inside a FD Node 304 and fill it with four WD Reds. The spcr review of this case made it look promising for a quiet box especially with an external psu and the low wattage braswell mobo+cpu combo. I have four questions I think someone here will know answers to :)

Will the 65W included external PSU be enough for an operating system SSD + four hdds?

edit: answer I think is Yes 65W should be enough, based on the info here http://www.nerd-monkey.com/test-4-nas__ ... o_4_drives the maximum draw they got was 55w for a few seconds during bootup and then down to 35-40w reading or writing from all four drives.

If I use the four built in sata ports for the hdds, can I attach the operating system SSD with a pcie adapter or something?

Will KVR16LN11/8 1.35V ram be compatible?

Lastly anyone know or have experience with the fan control? ASRock's website lists these "features":

- CPU/Chassis Fan Tachometer
- CPU/Chassis Quiet Fan (Auto adjust chassis fan speed by CPU temperature)
- CPU/Chassis Fan multi-speed control

And also I see these on the motherboard:

1 x CPU Fan Connector (3-pin)
1 x Chassis Fan Connector (3-pin)

I am total noob at fan speeds and controlling them via temps etc. Any clues as to what sort of control I'll have over the three included node 304 case fans?